20

The skies had turned dark when Flamm arrived at the church in the Central District.
Enveloped in the shadow of the building, Flamm observed the situation.
The atmosphere of the church is terribly unusual.
Even if they still have knights posted at the gates, their expressions too looked grim.
On site, the nuns were talking with each other with worries on their face around the entrance of the main building.
However, Sarah couldn’t be seen among them.
Was there an incident, Flamm wondered.
As she brooded over if she should directly ask them about it, a 20-year-old or so nun clad in white robe similar to Sarah’s passed in front of her.

“Hey Sister, can I ask you something?”

Flamm instantly called out to her.
The woman stopped, and with a swing of her pale pink-colored hair, she turned to say “What might it be?” with a smile.
Flamm beckoned the nun to come over to a place where the knights can’t see and asked the nun frankly;

“Do you know of a girl called Sarah?”
“Y-You know her!?”

As she did, the nun suddenly asked her the question back, grasping on Flamm’s shoulders.
Seeing the nun’s desperate expression, Flamm immediately knew that something had definitely happened to Sarah.

“Ah…I’m sorry. An unexpected incident happened, so we are a bit disordered…”

The woman was grasping onto a bag of groceries.
Perhaps she was asked to go and buy some things in the middle of the riot.

“As I thought, something happened to her, doesn’t it?”
“…Before that…can I ask you how you are related to Sarah?”
“My name is Flamm. Sarah is—”

Even before Flamm could finish her explanation, the nun interrupted her and started speaking.

“Aah, it’s you! The kind person that Sarah said made her delicious foods!”

Seems like Flamm is well known already.
It’s truly just like Sarah to talk about food.

“I haven’t introduced myself, have I. My name is Tina. I have been living in the church with Sarah since we were small.”

Flamm remembered something Sarah had told her.
Sarah used to tell her a lot about the “family” she had in the church, and Tina was one of those people.

“Then I think it would be fine for me to talk about this with you. An announcement came down from the Church earlier today…they said that they have excommunicated Sarah.”
“Excommunicated!? Why so suddenly!?”
“It seems that…the reason is that she had been involved with demonic worship. I heard that the moment she was discovered, she was immediately dragged to the Court of the Church.”

The Court of the Church is an institution separate from the court established by the Kingdom. It was made specifically to punish the members of the church that broke their internal rules.
It’s an institution that was said to punish the rulebreakers by imprisonment, torture, or even execution.
Obviously, it is a violation of the laws of the Kingdom, yet the Kingdom had no interest of intervening with the tyranny of the church, and instead, they even gave the church the authority to make decisions to maintain the public safety of one entire district.
In the end, it means in the present kingdom, anyone being taken to the church’s courthouse would be treated as a criminal.

“Of course none of us believe that she was involved in demonic worship, I can guarantee that. We lived together with her after all.”

She was under a false sentence.
Flamm grits her teeth strongly from her irritation.
Sarah was supposed to be a talented, precious asset of the church.
Then perhaps Ink and whatever exists in the church in the West District was something they are desperate to hide that they are willing to throw the girl away.