XXVIII. Why Change?

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Shut up Pran! You and your crush for that wicked girl could go to hell! I will never like her!"

"Mark! I mean Masa! Hey! Wait!" Jane and me was a bit surprised when Pran started yelling. He stood up and ran towards the entrance of the cafeteria. And there he was, the person we were talking about.

Mark looked scandalized at first and tried to exit the door immediately but Pran was too fast for him. He came in between Mark and the door blocking his way and preventing him from moving any further. He was soon dragged by Pran towards where Jane and I were seated. His expression was like the day I first met him after he came from Japan.

"Why are you avoiding us?" Jane immediately asked him in a heavy tone. Mark did not sit but just stared down at us with his cold eyes. He never spared me a look.

"When did I do that?"

"For a week now?"

"We see each other in class Jane." He answered her friend boringly.

"Yes we do. Then you are gone right after before we could even ask you to eat."

"I was busy."

"Yeah right you are." Pran snorted.

"Look if you have nothing more important to say to me then I should leave." He said turning around but Jane grabbed his hand pulling him back.

"Ma...Mas, what happened? Why are you doing this to us?" Jane lowered her voice in an attempt to make her friend listen.

"I'm doing nothing Jane. Did you forget who I am? I am not your friend Masa. I tricked you guys remember? This is how I am suppose to act."

"You. What are you talking about?" Jane asked.

"This is who I am Jane. Who I am now doesn't want to be friends with you guys." He looked sideways to Pran who looked back at him frowning. "I am not my brother. You should remember that." He finished.

"How can you say that to us Mark? I thought you considered us your friends too. Did we not accept you for who you were?" Jane's voice tells she's holding back her tears. But Mark only looked at her in his dead and uncaring eyes.

"Did you forget I am a liar? I lied all the time Jane. And I don't want to be friends with someone who is too nosy with other people's business."

"You!" I hold on to Pran's arm before he could stand up and do anything to Mark. The latter was not even shaken. Instead, he smirked even more to annoy Pran.

"You can do whatever you want. Just don't bother me anymore. It's so annoying." He said before he finally walked away.

My legs reacted so fast that I was able to stood up beside Jane in no time before her and Pran could even react.

"I will talk to him." I told them before walking after Mark. I heard Jane sniffled and it made me a little angry to that person who wasn't able to appreciate his friend's concern for him.

I followed behind him silently waiting for the exact time and location to finally pull him for a talk. He walked rapidly without noticing me behind him as he head for the men's washroom.

*Bam

Mark turned abruptly in shocked when I banged the door behind me. It was lucky that there were only the two of us inside.

"What are you doing?" He faced me as his gaze fell on the door latch that I just locked.

"I wanted to talk that's why." I answered him with annoyance in my tone.

"Well too bad P, I don't want to talk." He said walking towards the door and reaching for the latch. But I grabbed his hand and flicked it away. He glared at me before trying once again. This time, I grabbed his arms and pulled him closer to me.