The School

Six didn't understand why he was so nice. He always stayed nearby, always helped her through the crumbling buildings, always made sure he never went too far without her, he acted like they were friends; he was being weak. Even at the schoolyard he tried to be nice. While Six focused on entering the school, hopes high for food and clothes, the boy focused on playing games. He called out to Six, pointing at the soccer net before kicking a white ball towards her. She entertained the idea by kicking the ball back towards him, but didn't continue after that. Playing games is childish. She can't be a little kid anymore, being little means you're weak. The weak die quick, Six isn't like them.
But, exhaustion isn't death. Unfortunately, Six was already tired. Jumping large gaps, climbing up rope, pushing around furniture, all very tiresome activities. As they entered the school, Six explored the lively lit area until she found multiple bunk beds. It looks like Six's lucky break! There's light, beds with blankets, a door to keep the monsters out, it's practically perfect! Her only gripe? The boy also wanted to sleep. There were plenty of beds to pick from, his choice to sleep on the bed above her was frustrating. So she moved, again distancing herself from the boy. He got up to follow her, but Six's menacing glare kept him away. Her eyes said one thing: stay away.
When she woke up, she found the head of a teddy bear sleeping beside her; she didn't bring any toys to bed. A small gesture, probably done by the boy. She throws the toy across the room, it hits the wall with a thud. She doesn't need to be comforted by some stupid toy, she especially doesn't need the boy's pity. She is fine on her own, he needs to understand that.