An Ally From Beyond

Start from the beginning

"What?" 

"Head to your right, and keep going, the answers are; wind, human, time, mirror, and darkness. I'll be watching." The figure spoke, its form beginning to fade away.

"Wait! What does all this mean!?" Mono cried, he had so many questions, but it won't give him a chance to ask them, "Answers to what?!" 

"Don't you have other places to be, boy?" It said, not unkindly, before the screen went black. Mono was at a loss for words, he tore his gaze away from his reflection on the screen and looked at the glitching axe on the floor. He reached for it and felt its handle, they jolted him at first, feeling its electric current surging through the palm of his hand. After that, he felt its edges, and despite its transparent form, the blade was sharp as a razor.

He lifted the axe and let it rest across his shoulder, Head right and keep going... the words echoed in his head again, just what was that? an ally from beyond? Why was it helping him? He could have sworn he had seen something like it before, but where? Oh, this dreadful sense of deja vu again... Either way, he was grateful for it, its intentions were clearly unharmful.  

The door towered over him, blocking his path. He swung the axe from his shoulders and held it with both arms. His body tensed, planting his feet firmly on the ground. He drew the axe back over his head and swung it with full force at the lower part of the door, the axe went through the wood as easily as a knife cutting through butter. Splinters flew outwards, and as he pulled his axe out of the gap, the dim yellow light from the other side seeped into the room. Before swinging it again Mono took a quick peek through the gashes in the door, he saw more of the dolls, startled. They all drew away from him, frightened as if he was some sort of monster that's was about to tear its way out of its cage. And then came the second swing, which made them break in a full sprint, running as far away as possible from the door. 

One final swing at the lower part collapsed, leaving a gap wide enough for Mono to squeeze through. He kept his grip firm on the handle of his axe, his eyes darting from one corner of the hallway to the next, wearing that something might leap from behind the lockers. But nothing came, the hall was unpleasantly quiet, the only sound was the faint static of a TV that hung from the wall above him. 

Without warning, the door of a locker burst open and a doll leaped out from inside, it rolled in front of Mono and giggled at him as its arms hovered at its side, ready to pounce at any moment.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of this... He tightened his grip on-... Huh? What?! in his palms he felt nothing. He looked down to see that the axe was missing, it disappeared! Oh, come on! seriously!? The doll lunged at him, zooming through the hallway like a wild animal. Mono took a step back, suddenly feeling naked without a weapon. He put his fists in front of his face and braced himself. The doll leaped, its entire body launching at Mono. He was ready to take it on, but suddenly something fell from the ceiling and smashed the doll into pieces. It was yet another glitching axe.

Mono looked up, the TV screen glowed white and the shaded figure stood in the middle once more. "Don't make a habit out of this, boy. Defend yourself!" it said. 

"Th-thank you," Mono said, but before he could say anything else a pack of students crawled out from the vents overhead while others crept out of tiny cracks in the walls, there were dozen of them. Oh boy... Without knowing it, his hands began to tremble, and his legs started shaking.

"Fight boy! Fight!" The voice from the TV bellowed. Mono jumped and made for the axe embedded in the wooden floor. He gripped the handle and made tiny grunts as he struggled to tear it out. 

"I-I can't fight them all at once!" 

The students began sprinting towards him one by one, screeching with their hands waving in front of them. While others stood behind, clapping and sniggering.