||12|| Partner In Crime

August POV

"What? Your room? Why?" Oakley questioned. "I don't want to hide."

The banging on the door continued. The patterned rhythm telling me exactly who it was. I looked back at the door then at Oakley.

I grabbed onto Oakley's arm, "For this one time can you shut up and listen to me?" Her dark green eyes searched mine, probably sensing my seriousness because she nodded.

That's a first. 

I let go of her and watched as she turned around to walk back to my room. I exhaled as I heard the door behind her close and began to walk towards the house door.

He had to come around now? He couldn't wait at least an hour fucking more?

Bang! Bang—

I swung the door open, "I get it, I get it," I said to Mathew on the other end of the door.

Also known as, Salvo's Boss.

He held a cigarette in between his fingers, his hair was beginning to gray at the roots considering he was nearly fifty years old. He was still a well-built man, broad shoulders and tall, meeting my height. But young enough to do the work that he does.

"Was beginning to think you were dead," He said, walking past me into my house. He tapped the ash from the cigarette on the floor.

Maybe that would be the better outcome.

I sighed, "Not just yet, I'm all flesh and bone." The house door shut.

"No text, no calls? I send you and your boys on a mission, you fail for starters. Then I hear from Caleb that you have him at the hospital for a bitch that's not even associated with us?"

"We were heavily outnumbered at that party and you know that. It was a suicide mission, half of my men are dead, and yet Apolo and Wilson are alive and well."

"It was up to you to figure out the best way to go about it as Capo. I gave you the position because I know you are capable of pulling off jobs as big as that one. What got in your way?"

I chose not to respond to his last comment, "And Caleb volunteered to stay with the blonde who, by the way, is associated with your hard-headed niece."

Words of Oakley cause silence to fill the air. Mathews unpredictable, he has to be, being the Mafia leader. But even with Oakley being his niece I'm not sure of his intentions or thought process when it comes to her.

He could see her as competition and shoot her on the spot if he felt like it.

"Speaking of my niece, where is she?"

I walked over to the table where I placed my bottle of beer and lifted it to take a long sip. The cool liquid ran down my throat.

I lowered the bottle, "With Caleb at the hospital." I lied.

"Why? And more importantly, why the fuck are you here at home instead of making sure she doesn't make a run for it?"