7. The Claustrophobic Library

I didn't show up for the dinner

This statement echoed in Piya's mind for what seemed like the umpteenth time . Yet she pretended to take a look around the cheerful and brilliantly lit cafe where she was now seated. A swarm of frequent customers crowded around the well cooked food. They were sitting near a wide window, watching the traffic pass by. The sky was dark and frigid. The restaurant was spacious and dark , the lighting was dim and mesmerizing enough to please anyone's senses .

But even the soothing ambience of the restaurant weren't enough to distract her off this one peculiar statement that has been revolving in her mind since the last forty eight hours , and now it pinged again . I didn't show up for the dinner . 

All she was seeking since the past two days was a pair of squinted grey eyes everywhere , in bed trying to sleep , during her lectures , on the reception of Maneslock . The realization that the intimidating bar owner had left her yearning for more , expecting for more just in a mere night pissed her off . 

She had final examinations to cram for, an essay to write, and shifts at the studio to work, but her mind was still intertwined with his thoughts . She was aware that they were poles apart , from two completely different worlds.

He was a magnificent man with a well-ordered life, whilst she was still battling with her everyday problems. He was not the right man for her, and he deserved better. A woman of class who could stand next him like a queen, which her lanky self could never do. But these differences somewhat made the rejection easier to take for her . 

The images of her snuggled up in a chair in the campus library, reading a classic romance novel appeared more plausible than the sensual unrealistic sights of her bare body sprawled across his bed , under his mercy .

Her friend , Kate , ultimately decided to order food and flipped through the menu to see the cafe's staple dishes . Being the impatient one , she was done waiting for Adrien who was always late .Till the time the food arrived at their table , Adrien was also there .

" Stop taking food from my plate, you asshole , if you don't want to me to punch you right across your ugly face . " Kate scowled as Adrien tossed on of the black olives from her plate right into his mouth .

He smirked realizing he was successful in pissing Kate off . Adrien enjoyed pushing Kate's patience to its breaking point . They were like human versions of sodium and water , whenever set together , ended up vigorously catching fire . 

" Here you can have mine . "

Piya mumbled placing all her cheese coated olives and roasted corns in Adrien's platter making him pass her a wolfish grin , his perfect set of teeth on display while Kate rolled her eyes at Piya's considerate actions . She knew that both , Kate and Adrien , wouldn't hesitate to strangle each other's neck in public if she wasn't present .

"You are too good to be true , Piya . "

Adrian whispered in her ears and continued stuffing his mouth with the food . The gross boy didn't even bothered to change the cutlery which Piya was using earlier , and continued eating with the same spoon. The trio finished dining with dark roast coffee that was deep and delicious. Desert included a single piece of dark, rich chocolaty cake with bittersweet chocolate ganache  and fresh raspberries piped with whip cream. They decided to split it, devouring the cake in small bites making it last seemingly forever .

"Are you still friends with Jade?"

Kate inquired out of blue. Her green eyes fixed on her companion, who was now uncomfortably twitching in her seat after hearing the question. Even Adrien, who was generally unbothered by all kind of disturbances while eating , had put his fork down to hear Piya address Jade's issue , which she had somehow always avoided.