Lesson 33 - Progress

(3rd Person POV)
-

In one of the castle's pillars, a man with blonde hair and a sword stands there. The space around him is large, low light coming in from the beginnings of the morning. The sun has yet to rise, leaving only a light blue painted sky.

He swings his sword up and down, training. With each swing he grunts, sweat dripping from his head.

This was Climb, the bodyguard of Princess Renner.

"Why don't you call it a day?" A familiar voice says. Climb turns and sees who spoke, Gazef Stronoff.

"Lord Stronoff..."

"There's no point in overdoing it, Climb."

He slowly relaxes, giving him a break from swinging his sword. "You are quite right."

"My word..." Gazef shakes his head a bit. "If you really believe that, I wish you wouldn't make me repeat myself over and over again."

Climb bows lightly. "I am terribly sorry."

Gazef makes his way to the side, where a stand filled with multiple swords sit. He grabs one of the sword's handles, pulling it out of the rack. "What do you say to a little practice match?" Gazef says as he turns to him.

Climb tenses up, eyes wide with surprise. "But, sir..."

"Just recently, I was shown how callow I am. I'd like to train with someone who has a little resilience."

Climb blinks. "Who, you, Lord Stronoff?"

"Yeah. If a merciful magic caster hadn't come to my aid, I probably wouldn't be standing here right now."

"Who is this magic caster?"

Gazef tilts his sword, looking at his own reflection in it. "Ainz Ooal Gown-- someone who, most likely, could give that freakish wizard from the Baharuth Empire a run for his money."

He turns his head back to Climb. "At least, that's what I think of him."

"I will commit the gentleman's name to memory. So then, are you sure you wish to train me?"

"Not training, just practicing with our swords. Whether or not you take anything away from it is up to you."

-

The two stand parallel to each other. Gazef's sword on his shoulder as he stands with confidence. Climb has a simple round and silver shield, while in a defensive stance, ready for combat.

"Now, come at me like this is actual combat." Gazef says.

Climb stares at him with furrowed brows, unsure and anxious.

"Aren't you going?" Gazef moves his sword from his shoulder and holds it out at arms length. "If not, I'll take the fight.. to you!"

He suddenly leaps from his toes and rushes at Climb, both hands now on his sword as Climb deflects the attack with his shield.

Climb grunts in struggle as he tries to hold back Gazef's immense strength. Gazef grunts, before kicking him in the gut, flinging Climb back.

Climb lands on the floor before sitting up with his shield at the ready, protecting him.

"Just because a sword is all I'm carrying doesn't mean you should focus all your attention on it. Otherwise, you could get kicked like you just did." Gazef explains as Climb slowly stands back up.

"Right." He replies.

"Ho..." Gazef says with a smirk as he raises his sword once more at arms length. "A typical soldier would be finished after one of those."