Chapter 7

*Picture of Jack*

Jack and I were walking outside, my arms were all bandaged up, it was bad, I would not lie, it hurt every time I moved my hand.
"So your telling me that you ran into a vase and this happened?" Jack asked, gesturing to my arm.
"Mm hmm." I said.
"'Mm hmm' as in yes or 'mm hmm' as in no?" Jack asked. I sighed.
"Why don't you believe me?" I asked, stopping.
"Look at yourself! You think I would believe that you ran into a vase and now your arms hurt so much that you can barely move them?" Jack asked.
"Well maybe I didn't run into a vase maybe I did something clumsy and broke the vase to cover up for my clumsiness!" I shouted, great, now I've lost it.
"So your saying that you broke the vase to hide some clumsy mistake you made?" Jack asked.
"No! I said 'maybe'," I sighed, a hopeless reply to keep my identity hidden.
"Look. I know that you don't like me and wish you had never come here but we can't do anything about it so can we just be friends?" Jack asked, staring straight into my eyes. For the first time, I saw all his magnificent features, he had straight brown hair, neatly cut and spiked up with blue eyes that sparkled in the moonlight. I felt this strange feeling inside of me, it was warm and fuzzy, it made me want to hold Jack in my arms. I turned away, trying to make the feeling disappear but it stayed there, deep in my heart.
"Izzy," Jack said softly, "I'm sorry I didn't believe you," tears started to flow out of my eyes, how could I lie to him?
"I didn't really bump into the vase. However, I can't tell you what really happened," I cried and rushed into his arms. Jack gently rubbed my back. "Your not as bad as I thought you would be," I whispered, in between sobs.
"That's good to know," Jack replied.
"Jack, can I ask you a question?" I asked.
"Anything," Jack said softly.
"What would you dream girl be like-if it wasn't picked out from the bowl?" I asked, curious.
"She would be like you," Jack whispered. I pulled back, what was happening to me? I had only known Jack for two weeks now! How could I know he would not be like Gus? Just using me?
"What's wrong? Was it what I said?" Jack asked. I shook my head before running out of the garden, past the guards and straight into my room, Jack calling my name as I ran. I locked my door and cried into my pillow. Someone, probably Jack, tried to open the door.
"Izzy? Please. Just let me in," Jack whispered.
"Go away!" I yelled. I planted my face into my pillow and screamed. What was wrong with me, what is going on. Was I in... no I wouldn't say it, I could not admit it. But deep in my heart, too deep for me to reach, I knew with the smallest part of my heart that it was true, if only that part of my heart could shout it out...

I felt sick the next morning, dizzy and tired. The nurse came in to check my temperature, I had a fever.
"It's best if you stay in bed today, get better for the royal dinner in two weeks," the nurse said.
"Royal dinner?" I squeaked.
"Yes, all the Prince's relatives are coming for dinner," the nurse explained, packing her stuff away. She walked out the door, letting Jack in. I closed my eyes and pretended I was asleep. Jack sighed, "Izzy, I know your awake," I opened my eyes and turned the other way so I was not facing him.
"Jack, I'm sick. Could you go so I can get some rest?" I asked quietly.
"Izzy, please, I'm begging you. Tell me what I did wrong. Why are you mad at me?" Jack asked, sitting on the bed.
"You didn't do anything wrong," I whispered.
"Then why are you mad?" Jack asked. I sighed.
"If I tell you, will you go?" I questioned, turning over to face him. Jack hesitated before answering.
"Yes. I will," Jack promised, making up his mind.
"Before all this happened," I gestured to my room, "I had a boyfriend," Jack winced, softly. "Two days, before I got the letter about The Choosing Ceremony, our clock was two hours behind the actual time. I had a date,"
"Are you saying your still in love with him?" Jack interrupted.
"Just listen. I saw him, with another girl. I saw him...ki-" I bursted out into tears. Jack took me in his arms and rocked me back and forth, back and forth.
"I wasn't sure I could trust you." I cried.