(I) Chapter 38: Close

To the astute observer it was clear that despite Dracula's natural sense of poise and self-confidence, he was presently a bit out of his element. Perhaps it was the music... if such melodically devoid noise could even be considered music.

For a moment, Vlad found himself waxing nostalgic for the old days. The world had once whispered his name in a hushed combination of fear and veneration. He had been a figure of shadow and raw power; his mere presence enough to command a room before he had even entered it; his reputation as a man of means, ambition, and an unquenchable thirst well known.

But now...

Now, he was just an anonymous face in the sea of a nameless crowd, brilliant lights of crimson red and blinding white flashing over his face in time to a borderline nauseatingly loud beat.

As far as night clubs went, he supposed this establishment was certainly worthy of its prestige, but the name Scarlet seemed a bit too on the nose for his taste. The faintest of ironic smirks tugged at the corner of his lips as he moved effortlessly through the throng of gyrating dancers. The décor was high-class, though, with glittering chandeliers of crystal, ruby, and obsidian glass; the walls lined in jacquard designs of black and red, the expensive booths for guests to sit and drink upholstered in the finest velvet.

If Vladislaus had ever owned a private nightclub, he probably would have had it designed in a similar fashion – but perhaps with a different color scheme. In spite of Aldrick Meino's questionable character and associations, however, he certainly had excellent taste.

Finally free from the crowd, Dracula leaned back against the bar, scanning the scene casually in search of someone in particular.

He quickly noticed Carmen and Lyra seated at a table on the other side of the room, the latter of the females frequently stealing glances in the direction of the entrance as if she were expecting someone. Danny and Rémy had evidently finished their introductions with Aldrick's second in command and were now being granted access to the VIP section on the balcony that overlooked the dance floor; and dispersed throughout were faces of other alliance members that he recognized, but Francesca was nowhere to be found.

That is, until a familiar voice caught his attention at his side.

He turned to discover the woman attempting to get the attention of one of the bartenders, though perhaps attempt wasn't the right word. With her sudden appearance and a snap of her fingers, the set of heads behind the counter turned at once. Vlad's smirk deepened.

"I'll take an absinthe over here," Frankie called out over the deafening music, placing her payment on the counter before sliding it forward with a single finger. The bartender, who made no attempt to conceal his open interest of her figure, nodded once and began to reach for a spoon and a cube of sugar when she stopped him. "Backdraft, please."

"That ruins the liquor," the man insisted, but Frankie waved her hand, dismissing his argument.

"That's a matter of opinion," she declared, taking a seat in one of the stools, the crossing of her legs making the skin-tight faux leather of her leggings momentarily protest the friction. She then leaned forward a little against the counter, elbow resting on the wood as her lightly clenched fist propped up her head, eyes watching Vlad closely, as if she were silently inviting him to make the next move.

Although distracted by the sight of the skin her black racer-back tank was blessedly unable to cover, he shook the lust from his thoughts and took the open seat at her side, careful not to knock his leg against the pointed tip of her heeled shoes.

"Make that two," he said. "Taking a break from the usual whiskey then?"

"I felt like mixing things up a bit," she confessed, moving her hair to one side so it rested over her right shoulder, giving him the perfect view of her bare neck. Though done with a sense of absentminded distraction, knowing her it was probably some calculated move and that degree of mischievousness sent the corner of his lips twitching just a fraction higher.