(I) Chapter 36: A Lingering Hesitation

Two Weeks Later

As another evening began to wind down, Frankie remained situated in the far corner of Carmen's kitchen, sitting atop one of the counters with her legs stretched out in front of her, one over the other. She had her phone gently pressed against her ear, the conversation with her Uncle Armand having been going on now for well over an hour now. The pair had always been especially close, even more so since the death of her parents.

Even with the passing of his beloved wife and Frankie's ensuing guilt at feeling personally responsible, her uncle remained as kind and forgiving as he had always been. Though she could tell by the tone of his voice that Cece meeting true death still pained him more than words could ever articulate, he continued to insist that his dearest niece was not in the least to blame and he had never nor could ever harbor any ill will toward her.

"So what has my favorite nephew been up to these days?" Armand inquired in his native French.

"Oh, the usual," was his niece's reply, the words said with a bit of a sigh. "He's been positively obsessed with getting close to Aldrick Meino these days – remember, that club owner I had told you about?"

"Yes – the known associate of that unsavory Spider character. Basilio was his name, correct?"

"Yeah, Basilio runs even more of Budapest than he did five years ago and there have been reports that Augustine has been in contact with him. Most of the guys think he's being recruited and Rémy wants to get to him first if we can. Between the two of us, though, my gut is saying that we're wasting our time dealing with the Spider. Even if we do manage to get close to him, he has a history of turning on his own allies if it benefits him in some way."

"But if you are able to neutralize him, or at least have him turn a blind eye..."

"Then we can get one step closer to overthrowing Augustine. Yes, I know. But I don't particularly care for the risk involved. This plan has never sat well with me, but you know how Rémy gets when he believes in something."

"Yes. I'm well acquainted with the Petrovna tunnel-vision. Although, in your brother's defense, you aren't exactly any better. You both are so much like your mother in that respect"

Frankie chuckled.

"Excuse me, Uncle, but I am infinitely more level-headed than my brother and mother combined."

"That's a point of some debate."

"Are you trying to pick a fight with me?" she asked, laughter in her voice.

"Not at all, ma petite. I would never dare do such a thing!"

The woman laughed openly at this, unaware that her rare display of unrestrained amusement had been overheard by a certain gentleman lingering in the hallway just outside of the room.

Vladislaus, who had initially passed through the corridor in search of Carmen on Rémy's behalf, had become distracted by the sound of Frankie's conversation with her uncle, thus choosing to abandon his original mission so he could loiter and eavesdrop. It was the first time he had heard the woman laugh with such regular unreservedness and Dracula found that he enjoyed the sound far more than he probably should have.

Frankie's tone had a kind of lilt to it now as she continued to speak into the phone.

"You are insufferable; you know that, right?"

"But of course! Well, for the sake of the two of you, I sincerely hope this plan goes well. I'd feel better if your little band of rebels had better support within the city."