(I) Chapter 14: This Means War

Carmen raked her bony fingers through her thick, black hair in a sign of evident frustration.

"Again, Vesper."

"I don't want to study the Renaissance anymore. Can't we do something else? What about science or something?"

"It's Renaissance or French, young lady, and I don't have the patience Frankie does when it comes to French, so you're stuck with the Renaissance."

The teenage dhampir actually stomped her foot.

"But Carmen..."

"Fine. We'll start all the way back at the beginning. Define Renaissance."

Vesper crossed her arms defiantly over her chest and shook her head roughly.

"No."

"Child, you are seriously showing your age right now."

"I'm not a child! I almost fifteen!"

"You say that like it implies some level of improvement."

As the two continued to bicker at the breakfast bar next to the kitchen, the three men sitting at the dining room table all rolled their eyes. They had been listening to this same conversation for the last couple of hours. Carmen had given up on finding affordable furnishings for her new place, despite Rémy's suggestion that they just ask Frankie for the funds. But the woman, with her Castilian pride, instead cursed him with some colorful language before informing Vesper that it was time for her studies.

Dracula inhaled deep through his nose, trying to keep himself composed as he struggled to ignore the two females by the kitchen.

"Rémy, don't take this the wrong way, but how much longer are we going to be congregating each evening in this particular location?" he inquired.

"Seriously, though. We've both offered our own places and..." Danny began, but Rémy cut him off.

"Not having this discussion, gentlemen."

"But..."

"Damn it, Vesper!" Carmen shouted, unintentionally interrupting the conversation by slamming her hand on the counter. "Just define the bloody word!"

"I'm not going to surrender to you! Yell all you want, you tyrant!"

"Vesper..." The woman's fangs lengthened as her patience vanished before the girl's eyes, but the display had no effect.

"I am not your prisoner! I will not recite facts about the Renaissance any longer! I demand my freedom!" the girl shouted dramatically, standing on top of the barstool. She stomped her foot, hands clenched into tight fists. "Give me liberty or give me..."

As if on cue, the front door suddenly opened and in walked Lyra and Frankie, the two openly laughing about something until they realized that every eye in the apartment was on them. The latter was quick to notice that Leinhart was still present and her smile disappeared at once as she straightened her posture and diverted her gaze elsewhere.

"Frankie! Thank God! Carmen is making me memorize useless historical facts. Please make her stop!" Vesper called out, her complaints interrupting the tension. Lyra began to excuse herself, embracing her friend who had offered her a drink.

"No thanks, hon, but call me later this weekend, alright?"

"I will. Thank you for keeping me company."

"Anytime."

Lyra looked over at Carmen and the two women nodded in understanding to one another. Frankie looked between them and just rolled her eyes, muttering an oath in her native tongue just as Lyra departed, shutting the door behind her while chuckling.