The captain looked up and saw his princess with damp hair and his signature black blouse that fit her like a dress. She was a vision of pure beauty as she leaned against the door frame, "Yes, love?"

    "When do you suppose we will reach Misthaven?" She asked looking down.

    Emma asked this question every night. It was a justifiable question. Some sailing days were better than others and the course was always changing depending on the weather. The captain knew she was growing impatient, as was he. "Soon, Swan." He said, looking back down at his map, hoping the conversation would end.

    She let out a breath of frustration. That was the same answer she got every night. What did "soon" even mean? A few days, weeks, months? Every time she took a glance at his maps they always seemed to change. "Okay." She responded as she crossed her arms, "I'm retiring for the night." She announced, turning around to head to bed.

    "Emma?" He called out instinctively.

     As she turned, he could see how puffy her eyes looked in the dimly lit cabin. They were both frustrated and exhausted. Neither of them waited for the other to come to bed, nor woke when the other one did. Meals together were now a rare occasion and the only time they spoke was before bed when she would ask how much longer. "What?" She asked with slight irritation in her voice as she turned back around and crossed her arms.

    Her tone took him by surprise. Was she mad at him? If she was, she had every right to be. She just didn't know it yet.  "I just wanted to say I love you." He said, avoiding eye contact.

    Guilt washed over the princess. Her frustration was no reason to lash out at him. "I apologize for my tone." She said as she walked over to him. He was quick to allow her to sit on his lap as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her wet hair to his cheek, "I love you too." She paused, "I just wish I knew what was happening back home."

    Killian inhaled the calming smell of roses on her freshly washed hair. "I wish I knew too." He kissed the side of her head, "I promise I'm doing everything I can to get you home."

    Emma looked into his eyes and saw a mixture of emotions. Tiredness, sadness, fear. She knew he was taking her home, but it felt so dragged out. Unexpected stops when they needed no supplies, constantly changing their course, avoiding her when she tried to ask about it. It was all too odd, "Do you promise?"

    "Aye." He responded with a shaky breath, "I promise."

Was it a lie? The truth? Not even he could tell the difference anymore.

    She sighed as she rested her head on his shoulder, "Do you think the baby will be a boy or girl?" She asked, changing the topic.

    The captain chuckled, "Your father's probably hoping for a son."

    The princess smiled. It was true her dad always wondered what it would be like to have a son. Someone to go hunting with, someone to duel with, someone to be a complete child with. Now Charming never once complained about not having a son, and Emma made sure to participate in all the events her father liked, but she knew having a son was a secret wish of his. "I bet you're right." She agreed, "I think my mother would like a son too."

    "And what do you want?" He asked as he played with a strand of her hair.

    She paused for a long moment. She never thought about what she wanted. All she wanted was to be home with her parents. "I don't know." She admitted, "I guess as long as the baby is healthy and safe that's all that matters."

    Damn, she had a way to subconsciously test his honor. He could tell her right now that she and the child were far from safe. He could tell her everything and there wouldn't be a thing she could do. They were already on their way to Misthaven, what more was there to do? But he inhaled a deep breath and enjoyed their quiet moment alone. Soon there would be none, and he had a good feeling this might be the last time he was to hold her this close. He closed his eyes and relaxed his body, "Aye, love. I'm sure that's all they want as well."