Chapter 45

What the fuck.

Nangunot ang noo ko at nilagpasan ang classroom nang makarinig ng daing mula sa dulo ng hallway. It was followed by an awful laugh and I immediately figured someone was being bullied somewhere at this floor of our building. It's two in the afternoon. Kagagaling ko lang sa cafeteria para makatakas sa boring na subject at ito pa ang mas makakapagpalate sa 'kin sa susunod na period.

"Your parents are useless! Maghihiwalay na nga lang, nag-iwan pa ng kagaya mo! Kawawa ka naman at nabuhay ka pa—"

My blood boiled instantly. Nakarating na ako sa kinaroroonan ng away at nadatnan ko pang tumatayo yung babaeng maliit at nakaponytail ang buhok. In front of her is a damn guy who didn't even look like the typical bully at school as he was fucking skinny and just plain ugly.

"—siguradong ayaw nilang makita 'yang pagmumukha mo dahil iniwan ka nila! Hindi ba baby ka pa no'n? Wala ka kasing kwenta!"

I balled my fist and was about to step in, but my lips parted when the small girl kicked the hell out of his right knee. The ugly guy yelped in pain as he hold on to his shin, jumping and wincing. But the girl wasn't done yet.

Hindi ko alam ang mararamdaman ko nang buksan niya ang pintuan patungo sa pinagbabawal na hagdan at tinulak papasok do'n yung lalaki. Ugly guy was shouting as the girl locked the door of the staircase from the outside. She kicked it after, as if letting out her remaining anger, then she turned around and our eyes met. 

My lips are still parted as she started walking towards my direction. Parang nawala ang inis ko at napalitan ng pagkamangha. Her lips were pursed and her eyes looked scary at one glance, but expressive as you continuously stare at it.

Umusbong ang kaunting kaba sa dibdib ko nang nasa harapan ko na siya. I stepped back, my forehead creasing as I vividly saw how her eyes slowly closed and when she opened it, her gaze was already directed straight at the hallway ahead. Hindi ko manlang napansin na napasunod ako sa kanya nang lagpasan niya ako na para bang wala lang. Like I didn't witness what she did. 

I was that impressed that I didn't know how long I stared at where she disappeared into. Naririnig ko pa rin ang sigaw ng lalaking kinulong niya sa hunted staircase. I don't normally meddle with these kinds of... stuff... but I think that ugly guy deserves to be where he is. Napanguso ako ngunit kalaunan ay kumawala ang ngisi sa labi.

Like I wasn't hearing anything, I turned around and went back to my classroom, whistling as I remembered how the guy got in there. It's 2 PM. What a crime to have witnessed on my birthday...

Elementary is weird. Kids are being taught proper manners and all the good stuff, but as I see it, we don't really learn that in school. The only thing that matters most to us — well, for me — is the freedom we acquire from being sent to this learning institution. You know... at home we don't really get to do the stuff we do with our friends in school so I guess that's one of the reason why I still attend elementary. 

Going away from home for approximately 9 hours, forcing myself not to fall asleep during boring lectures, attending religious events (perks of being in a catholic school) and fooling around with my classmates and friends all day.

But that's elementary for me.

For others, as I've observed, school is some sort of a place where they can rebel or flaunt their superiority complex. Some kids here make everything a competition and when you don't give a shit about them, they'll gather their sidekicks and make fun of you. Like the scenes in those crappy movies, bow down to the campus king and queen shit.

Seriously? That's not what I'm here for. Kids are supposed to be kids. Just happy, kind, genuine, and free. How do children even learn how to hurt others their age?