XXXII. Intelligent Responses

Start from the beginning

I blow up flames; I just want him to compliment me. Is that so hard to ask?

"I also want that purse I saw earlier...all of the colors," I decide to play the part of a spoiled wife.

He grins. "Done. Anything else I can get for you, mio cuore?"

At that moment, I realized it was all one big fat game for Anthony. He purposely ignored me the whole time to rile me up. He wants me to be upset. After we finished shopping, in complete silence, we walked outside. I stand there with folded arms, as a foot continuously taps while we wait for the driver. The driver arrives, and I hop in before he can open the door for us.

Anthony went in behind me. "Mio Cuore, you're upset," his voice was still in its irritatingly calm tone.

I suck on my lower lips, seeing his reflection on the tinted glass window. He was openly staring at me with pure amusement.

I want to tell him that I wanted him to compliment me.

Of course, I wouldn't say that out loud. It's both irrational and embarrassing.

Now, I'm irritated with myself for digging such a deep hole. The longer the silence, the more I realize how ridiculous I'm behaving. I'm upset that Anthony wouldn't compliment me when I tried on those clothes.

I press my forehead against my palm, thinking of a way to get out of this ridiculous situation. I cannot behave like this in the future; I cannot go back to my old spoiled self.

The car stopped, and I looked up, scanning my surroundings to see a small park. "Let's take a walk," Anthony said before the door opened.

He walked out, and I did the same thing. Anthony told the driver that he would call him when we finished. "What are we doing?" I ask.

"We are taking a walk," Anthony said in the same line earlier.

I nod and follow Anthony as he walks down the street. The street was quiet and vagrant. The light tangled around the trees almost resembles hovering orbs even in the brightness down the wide pathway. "Are you feeling better?" Anthony questions and I return my attention to him.

Looking down at my shoes, I nod. "I'm...I'm sorry for being unreasonable" I muffle, puffing up my cheeks slightly.

"You do not need my opinions," he said, causing me to scratch my head. "You do not need my approval on how beautiful you look in all those clothes."

I swallow and bite my lower lip. "I shouldn't behave that way," I twist my shirt. "I should've stuck more to the contract and-"

Anthony cups my cheeks and forces me to look at him. "Mio cuore, the contract between us doesn't matter anymore because I intend to keep you and our family by my side."

Don't fall.

Don't fall.

Don't fall.

My body trembles, "Our family?"

"Yes, our family."

My face heated up, and I felt even more of a fool. Unable to steadily walk, my ankle slightly twists, but Anthony grasps my hand. "Be careful," his voice rasp and he pulled me up.

While his hand tangled with mine, the sweat began to roll down causing me to be colder. I tried to remove my hand, but his grip was too tight. His eyes continue to stroll forward. "I'll hold you so you won't fall."

Quickly, I shake my head, feeling the irregular beats against my chest. "No need. I'll be more careful."

"Then, you can hold me so I won't fall."

My eyes trace into his as the wind continues blistering in the air. "And if we both fall?"

The grey sky seems to lighten up as a ray of light dashes through the clouds. A gentle wind blew across his neatly styled dark hair. I couldn't hear anything except the agonizingly loud thumping noise inside my ribcage. He stood there staring at me with his alluring electrifying blues. Slowly, the edge of his lips tilted upward as a ray of sunshine sketched itself on his face.

At that moment, I accepted the reality that Anthony had caught my heart.

Anthony Winston-Maranzano, one of the worst men in the world is my husband...the man that I had unwillingly fallen in love with.

"Then, we fall together."