Chapter 43: What Happened?

When I got to the gates of Hogwarts McGonagall and Dumbledore were standing there.

"Oh Lily." McGonagall said. I gave a weak smile.

"Let's get you to the great hall." Dumbledore said.

"I love you Lily." Lupin said.

"I love you too Lupin. Tell dad I am sorry and that I love him." I said as the gates closed.

We walked in silence up to the castle.

"I think most everyone is at dinner right now, so you can join them there." Dumbledore said.

"Ok thank you." I said as we walked into the great hall. I stopped at the door.

"Lily?" McGonagall asked.

"I am ready." I said walking to stand in between them.

The big doors opened revealing the 4 tables filled with students who all turned to look at me entering with the headmaster and McGonagall.

As we walked in I broke off and went to sit at the Gryffindor table. I saw Harry, Ron, and Hermoine making a spot for me to sit down.

"Thanks." I said sitting down.

"Are you ok?" Ron asked.

"I-." I started but said nothing. I looked down at Geroge who could not even look at me.

"He blames himself, you know." Ron said.

"What?" I asked turning back to them.

"Geroge he blames himself." Ron said.

"Why?" I asked.

"He thinks he should have protected you." Hermoine said.

I gave a small nod and looked down at my plate that had food on it. I picked up the fork and it shoke in my hand. I tried to pick up a piece of food with it but because of the shaking the fork fell out of my hand and onto the plate making a thud sound. I looked up to see that most of the Gryffindor table was looking at me.

I pushed the plate away and put my head in my hands.

"Lily, are you ok?" Harry asked.

I looked over at them and gave a small "No." When Dumbeldore released us Hermoine walked beside me on my left and Ron walked beside me on my right. Harry walked in front of me to clear a path.

"I really don't need you guys to do this." I said walking.

"No, please let us." Hermoine said. We walked all the way to the Gryffindor common room like this. When I walked in everyone looked at me. A few people came up to me and asked what happened but I gave no answer.

"Do they know?" I asked.

"A rumor went around then Snape kind of confirmed it." Ron said.

"Great." I said.

I walked in and heard whisperings.

"I heard she got tortured." one person said.

"I heard she is crazy." Another said. I started to walk up the stairs but stopped. I turned to look at the Gryffindor common room. I took a deep breath.

"Yes." I said.

"Yes?" One said.

"Yes I am the girl who got tortured at Malfoy Manor." I said. Small gasps spread around the Gryffindor Common room.

"Yes I was crucioed." I said.

"How many times?" Someone yelled.

"I was crucioed 5 time a day for 14 days. You do the math. Yes I was the girl who was tortured. But I am also the girl who did not lose her mind being tortured for 14 days." I said.

"Half of you could not do what she did." Geroge said, walking towards me.

He walked up the stairs and gave me a hug. I stood still like a brick wall but then melted into him.

"I am so sorry." He whispered in my ear.

"It's ok." I said breaking away and going upstairs.

"I have questions!" Someone yelled.

"You idiot she is not going to answer questions about her torture!" George yelled. A small smile spread across my face. It went as quickly as it came. George followed me up the rest of the stairs.

"Lily..." He started.

"It's fine." I said walking past the boundary I knew guys could not get through. George knew it too but it did not stop him from trying. I heard a bounce and looked to see him on the ground.

"The dang barrier is still there." He sighed.

"Yeah it is. Maybe it is for the best." I said not looking at him.

"What do you mean?" George asked.

"I don't want to talk anymore about it. I want it to be in the past. I don't want to come back to that. A different Lily came back then the Lily that left." I said still not looking at him.

"I will love whatever Lily there is." George said.

"I know that's the problem George." I said finally looking towards him.

"How is that a problem?" He asked.

"It's a problem because I can't have someone loving this Lily when I don't even know if I can love it." I breathed out.

"What is wrong with this Lily I see before me? This strong Lily who bowed to nothing and who kept her mind in the most impossible place and time." He said.

"George...This Lily is not like that. This Lily is broken and beat down." I said, looking away from him.

"Ok so how long will it take for you to love this Lily in front of me?" He asked.

"I don't know." I said.

"What does that mean for us?" He asked.

"I don't know." I said.