Chapter 10 - Truth Be Told

"What are you doing?" A voice asked curiously, as I nearly jumped out of my skin, raising my arms into a defensive position.

The sun glared at my eyes and I squinted, trying to focus on the looming shadow heading towards me. Using my hand as a shield against the sun, I recognized Rudy leaning against the tree a few feet away from my own.

"What am I doing?" I repeated groggily. "I was sleeping, by accident... What time is it?"

Rudy laughed and hoisted himself away from the tree. He closed the distance between us and sat cross legged in front of me. "Lunch time. Which means you missed your first two classes, didn't you?"

"Yep."

"I wouldn't skip too many classes if I were you. That's a sure fire way to get on the naughty list."

Rudy's phrasing made me laugh. When he saw me brighten his smile widened, showing that he was proud of himself.

"I'll try to remember that." I said, between snickers.

"Are you hungry?"

My stomach growled in response, echoing in the calm breeze. "Yes I am!" I clambered up into a standing position, using the tree as a support.

Walking alongside Rudy we made our way to the cafeteria. As we passed the spot where I had fought with Claire this morning, it reminded me of some questions I had about Brisk Falls. "Rudy?"

"Mhmm?"

"Is it just me or is there something weird going on in this place?" I caught a flash of some emotion flicker through his eyes, but it disappeared too quickly to discern.

He frowned slightly and twisted his hands in front of him. Finally he decided on what to say. "Define weird."

I looked at the floor, thinking of how to define weird. "Weird as in the way Claire seems to growl like a feral dog; the way Lila seems to move faster then anyone I've seen before; the way those three girls I saw in a hallway seem to shine with a light so beautiful and seem to know the future."

"Oh," Rudy slowly closed his mouth, as if he thought I was crazy. Which was funny, considering where we are. "Well, uh, that's not my story to tell..."

Frowning, I automatically crossed my arms across my chest. "Then who's story is it?" I demanded, looking Rudy in the eye.

Rudy's eyes darted around the cafeteria, clearly looking for a way out. I felt bad momentarily, then the feeling was washed away by my need to know.

"Kale. He could tell you." Rudy whispered, then vanished into the crowd of people waiting for their lunches.

As soon as Rudy had said Kale's name I was searching or him over the people's heads, but from where I was I couldn't see past the wall where the tables were. Gently, I began working my way through the line, offering apologies whenever someone grumbled, and finally squeezed out into the eating area.

I spotted him immediately after getting out of the crowd. Practically sprinting I made it to the table in no time.

Kale looked up at me and grinned. "Care for some lunch?"

"What is for lunch?" My voice sounded cold, even to me. Kale winced, but didn't question me.

"Fried rice."

"Yum." I plunked down beside him and picked a piece of celery off of his tray.

We sat in silence for a few minutes until Kale broke the silence. "Elizabeth. What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing's wrong..." I glared pointedly at the table in front of me. "It just seems as though there are some secrets being kept from me around here."