Chapter 9.5

Meanwhile, on the roof. Fuutarou pulls out the papers from his pocket. His eyes are focused on it, but his mind is wandering.

F: "Their mom...five years ago huh..." He takes out his phone. "If Raiha and I could overcome it...then they should be able to." He thinks to himself. "Why am I so concerned for them?"

He looks at the homework again, smiling as he reads their answers. "These are...better. Still failing, but better than last time." He reads over their answers again. "I wonder if she kept her promise." Just then, two sets of footsteps climb the stairs.

R: "Onii-san! How long have you been here?" Raiha runs up and takes a seat behind him. "Looking at tests, even at the festival. Look up!" She forces his head to the sky, so fast he was worried she'd snap it.

3: "How are you feeling?" Miku sits by Fuutarou, putting her mask on the table.

F: "Not so good, I think I sprained my ankle." He says bluntly, but quietly. "Where are the others?"

3: "Yotsuba went off to buy something, Nino is still looking for Itsuki and Ichika. Why do you ask?" She looks down at his foot, it is bent, but only slightly.

F: "It's a shame. You were all excited to watch these together, but because of my injuries you guys had to take care of Raiha. Sorry." He says, rubbing his wrist.

3: "You forget who caused those injuries, and I don't mind being able to watch it with you Fuutarou." She looks up as another rockets upward. "Thank you."

F: "For what?" He says, returning the papers to his pocket.

3: "Usually, we only act like this on special occasions like today, but..." She turns to Fuutarou. "ever since you came, the distance between us five has gotten smaller, ever so slightly."

F: "Right, that's why I keep butting into their business..." He thinks to himself. "Miku, do you think things will ever be like how it was before your mother died?" He says without thinking.

3: "I don't know, but I doubt it. We can't just ignore what we've become after all. Fuutarou, how do you know about that?" She asks.

4: "Hello! I'm back!" Yotsuba comes up the stairs, waving around a mini fireworks set.

F: "That....that is the last thing we need right now." Yotsuba sits nearby. "Why did you buy that?" He flicks her head.

Miku just looks at those two, a sinking feeling in her chest.

3: "I couldn't..." She thinks to herself as she sees Fuutarou's face. She turns to the fireworks again.

5: "I brought snacks." Itsuki finally arrives, taking a seat behind Miku and placing a basket full of candy and food on sticks on the table.

5: "Where are those two?" Itsuki asks as she looks at the time.

The five of them watch as more works explode, lighting up the night sky. The flashes highlight the looks on their faces.

Raiha is nearly depleted, yawning as the air gets colder. Yotsuba has a wistful stare as she looks at the other three.

3: "Fuutarou...I'll show you how far I can go. Thank you." She thinks as her smile faces Fuutarou.

5: "One day...one day, we'll be able to have fun like we used to, right?" Her pensive gaze directed at Miku.

F: "I will succeed...no matter the cost, I won't let them suffer like we have, not any longer." His face full of determination as he stares blankly ahead, images of Maruo and his own mother flash through his mind.