[10] Memories and Uno

"DAMMIT!" I yelled after losing to this child, for the third time in a row.

"Haha! I told you that I'm the best at ice chess." The girl- Frosta, said with a confident smile.

I huffed, "Well that's cause you have ice powers. I'm just normal."

Frosta looked like she was about to say something, but stopped before anything came out.

Suddenly there was a bunch of commotion from outside my door, but considering that had been happening all day, I didn't think much of it.

Then again, I was curious.

"So..." I started. "What's going on outside? There's been a lot of noise today..."

Frosta's face turned from surprised to somber.

"I uh, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be saying this, but there they found a guard dead in the gardens this morning..."

"Oh..." I said, directing my efforts towards a deck of cards, "Wanna play poker?"

- - -

If it was noise that Glimmer wanted, then noise is what she got.

After all, finding a dead guard in the palace gardens with a message written in blood was bound to start some reaction.

'Alexai Holt'

Glimmer had spoken to them only a few days before. Their wife and them recently adopted a kid, and Glimmer asked about it.

They'd seemed so happy.

And now they were dead.

And Glimmer knew that she wasn't going to be able to sleep anytime soon. So instead, she busied herself by filling out the death report, and writing letters to different towns, warning them about the attack.

They probably already knew about the situation, especially with how fast news spread.

"Glimmer you need to eat." Bow said, shoving a plate with a sandwich on top of the papers she was working on.

"But Bow, I have to finish the death report. Plus, I'm helping plan the funeral and-"

"Glimmer." He said sternly, crossing his arms over his chest, "I may not be the king, but I'm commanding you to go take a break. Maybe you could join Y/n and Frosta's game of ice chess. They looked like they were having a lot of fun with that earlier."

She groaned.

"Please? For me?" Bow sighed, "How about this. I'll do some of your paperwork while you go and take an hour long break. Deal?"

Glimmer sighed, "Deal."

She stood up and hugged Bow, "Your the best Fiance ever. I'm still mad at you though."

He laughed, "I'll take it. Now gooo."

And with that, she grabbed her sandwich and took off down the halls, anxiety bubbling in her chest as she approached the infirmary.

"HAHAH! TAKE THAT YOU CHILD! I CAN BEAT YOU AFTER ALL!" She heard as she entered the doorway.

Frosta was the first to notice Glimmer and she gasped, "Glimmer! Are you gonna come play with us?"

Y/n turned around, eyes filled with confusion and a tiny bit of recognition.

"I- Uh, Sure," she sat down across from Y/n as Frosta shuffled the deck and handed her 7 cards.

"Alright, so, I think this game is called 'One', at least that's what the guard who taught me it called it. Apparently, it was a game played by the first ones, and they used it to decide who was superior." Frosta explained, and then proceeded to show us how to play the game.