Chapter Twenty-Seven

(Loki's Pov)

When Steve asked that terribly intrusive question, Loki could only guess what was going to happen. And being honest, it was a bit less troublesome that he would have thought. Between Stark's 'fatherly' instincts and the rest of the teams' curiosity- he was sure the entire fiasco would have lasted much longer.

But it wasn't much later until the rest of the team decided to call it quits. At least for now. No one had asked him a single question, most likely in fear of his following turn. So many opportunities wasted.

But now, hours later, Loki lay in his bed drifting between unconsciousness and a state of semi-awareness. It had been like this every night- every night since Thanos. Hours of thoughts running rampant through his mind, as it slowly calmed enough for him to enjoy a few moments of exhausted silent bliss.

Unfortunately, it seemed tonight was not one of those nights. For only mere moments into his 'restfulness', a small panic broke out in the pits of his stomach. It gradually worked its way up, provoking his settled anxieties and doubts. What was going on? Why had this suddenly made him so... afraid? Of what?

It wasn't until he felt this unsettling feeling impale his heart did he figure it out. Y/N. It was late enough for her to be sleeping- even if she had worked on some of her 'projects' already. But what would cause her to panic like this? What horrible thing was she experiencing- that she was desperately attempting to find saving from?

What was she afraid of?

With this feeling only getting worse, Loki rose from his bed, and left his room. With Y/N's room simply across the hall, there was nothing stopping him from entering. And yet he felt some form of hindrance- something telling him it wasn't in his place to 'rescue' her from whatever this was. That he shouldn't...

And yet when he heard the first whimper escape, all those thoughts were cast aside. She was in pain- emotional or physical- and needed help. Enough help to call out to him.

"Y/N?" He called, peeking the door open. No lights were on, as the curtains drawn closed on the far side of the room. Loki summoned a small magic lantern-like glowing orb to attempt to cast light on the situation. Nothing seemed out of place, nor disturbed. But that still didn't make the heartbroken feeling in his chest go away.

Then he found her. Y/N, all twisted up in the bedding. Each toss and turn only made her more restricted, most likely adding stress into her dream. Nightmare, more like it. As she winced once more, a small "No" could be heard escaping her lips.

"Y/N, it's only a dream." Loki said, moving to her side in an instant. "Wake up."

Nothing. Instead a single tear slipped her eye, as her hands became tucked to her chest in a fetal position.

"Wake up, Y/N." He tried again. "I'm right here, nothing can harm you." He continued, now placing a hand on her shoulder- slightly shaking her. She seemed so distressed- he didn't want her to go through that. To go through what he did.

And as if on command, she shot up in bed, effectively removing Loki's grip on her as well. Her breath was ragged and choppy. Her eyes flitted around the room, never stopping too long on one thing. Who's to say what she had seen- although it was obviously one of the more painful things in her life.

"Darling?" Loki tested, attempting to soothe the ache inside her. He could feel it- and no doubt he was only experiencing the tip of the iceberg.

But instead of soothing- she flinched. As if the very sound of his voice inflicted pain on her. As if his very words were venom.

"Please, I only want-" But Loki didn't finish, Y/N squeezing her eyes shut the moment he spoke. So he didn't. He remained silent, hoping that she could calm herself enough to tell him how he could help her. If she needed it.

"It's.. your voice. I-" She stopped, taking a breath. He waited patiently, knowing this explanation pained her to tell. "I lost you Loki. I lost everyone." She choked on a sob, wrapping her arms around herself. To have lost those close to her- no wonder she was so unraveled. Loki moved to comfort her, slowly offering his assurances.

And she accepted it. She fell into his arms, hugging him tight as if they hadn't been sitting around a table simply hours earlier. Her body rocked with tears, only momentarily breaking to make room for air. Loki made sure to hold her tight, made sure to let her know none of that happened. He was here. He would never leave her.

"Love, you can never lose me. You are my everything, you know that?" Loki said, running a hand through her hair. "Do you have your ring?"

She nodded, grabbing the small accessory off the bedside table. "You'll tell me what it means?"

"Of course." He said, sending her a gentle smile. He flipped the ring a few times over in his hands, the greenish white glow from the magic orb illuminating the fine print. "Voel scepmolte us, or here on Midgard, 'Love Completes Us'.

"In Asgard, it is a saying exchanged between soulmates describing how without their love for the other, they are incomplete. They were incomplete before they found their match, incomplete before they fell in love, and if they were to lose them- incomplete then again as well. Darling, I am incomplete without you. I could not bear to lose you, especially not when I had just found you. You are my soulmate, nothing can take me from you. Not anyone in any realm, not anything the universe throws at us, not even death itself.

"I love you more than anything or anyone I have ever known, Y/N."

When Loki finished his long practiced confession, he could only hold his breath to await her response. He truly loved her, with every fiber of his soul. With his heart. She had accepted him for who he truly was- something nearly no one was able to do. And it was true, every word.

Their eyes met, as it seemed anticipation was the loudest thing in the room. Perhaps only second to his racing heart. This was him putting it all out there. Sure, they had exchanged the words before. Just as friends do. Mere dalliances exchanged the words often- although they often fell out within weeks. This... this was so much more. He had never felt more alive than when he was with her- never happier. She was his entire world.

"Loki, I'm not gonna lie- I thought this would have been different." She laughed lightly, wiping an escaped tear from her eye. "But after meeting you- and really getting to know who you are, I couldn't imagine my life without you. If you were gone... I can't even- There's just no future. I love you so much words can't explain what I feel. You're amazing, and charming, so mischievous- handsome, caring, protective, loving, and I don't know what I've done to deserve you. I know you're the only one for me. I just love you so, so much." She hugged him, resting her head on his shoulder. He leaned his head on top of her own, placing a kiss on her forehead.

And they sat there, happy- content- and assured that no matter what the future brought- they would be ready for it. Together. Two lovers, two soulmates, two heroes.

They were found.