Chapter Sixteen

(Your Pov)

"So who thinks themselves worthy?" Thor called out as Natasha set down the plate of mini cakes. You instantly grabbed one, although not even thinking about participating. This was a predictable game. Only Thor could lift the hammer, and even if others could you'd never be able to. There was no way you were even nominated to be worthy. No way.

"Clint, you're up first!" Natasha shouted to Clint, grabbing a lemon flavoured cupcake. She had gotten one of the variety take-out boxes, so there was pretty much every flavour.

"It's a trick, man. Mirrors and illusions and what not."

"Oh come on! Just try it." Your dad insisted of him, and Clint finally obliged. He stood up, moved across from the 'magic hammer', and pulled as hard as he could.

It didn't budge in the slightest.

"Told you. Tony, your turn!" Your dad got up -and although they've definitely played this game before- you could tell how he eyed the idle weapon warily, as if it was a wild animal he needed to tame. Or a tricky science solution he simply hadn't figured out yet. He pulled-

It didn't budge, yet again.

And this went in a circle, the hammer only barely moving for Steve. But that was only the tiniest bit, barely even noticeable. And once all four Avengers had tried -besides Nat, who claimed she didn't need that question answered- there was only you and Loki left to attempt these crazy feats.

"Princes first." You mention to him, and with a heavy sigh he got up. He acted indifferent, although some level of defeatedness shone through. As if he had tried this many times before and it failed. It was like the only reason he was even thinking about going over there was because he was too drunk to do otherwise.

Or because you asked him to.

But that was preposterous.

Nonetheless, Loki went over to the hammer, gripping the handle and giving a slight tug. And again.

It still didn't move. He sat back down, and all eyes went to you.

"I'm not doing it." You laugh at their expectations, settling deeper into your seat.

"Come on! You've never even touched his hammer before. Might as well try." Nat insisted, and you were tempted to glare at her. But you lost the glare battle against Natasha every time.

"I already know what's going to happen. It won't move. Just like for all of you."

"But it's your birthday! Maybe that counts for something." You dad insisted, as you finally got up. They cheered as you moved closer to it, although you still didn't move to pick it up. This was a test of worthiness. Loki was surely more worthy than you, and he doubled as proof that the soulmates' version of worthiness didn't count as actual hammer-level value.

"How can I be any more worthy than the literal Avengers?" You ask, grabbing the handle. "I haven't saved anybody's life, I haven't sacrificed anything, I'm drunk and I'll have a horrible hangover tomorrow. Does any of that sound like worthy material to you?" You question, simply talking out loud. It barely registered in your mind that you were gesturing wildly around the room with something, although you know you haven't felt the pull of the hammer yet. Or something ridiculously heavy that you couldn't lift easily, yet practically be juggling it between your hands.

"You sure?" Bruce broke the silence first, and you looked up to see the shocked faces of those around you. What-

"I knew it! I knew it!" Your dad shouted, congratulating you with a hug. You were confused, until you realised the hammer was no longer on the table.