Prologue 1/2

(A/N: Yes, I'm starting yet another book. It was written and I needed to update so one thing led to another and here we are. Anyway, two prologues. First is about your past, the second one leads right up to where the plot starts. 

Warning: this chapter has mentions of suicide, although the actual scene isn't described. Just mentioned. Lots of language, but I wouldn't say overly so. Thanks for reading!

(12\11\21 update: Yes this really is an xreader, not an xOc, and to say why you change your name is to spoil the book, since its literally based around the fact that people don't know your 'real' name. Hope this helps! :3))

You weren't normal. You always knew that. It was obvious when you were in school, always speeding ahead of the other students. You weren't that popular either, always the 'nerd'. Your only friend was MJ, but she left to go to New York a few months ago. You were the one who had her calling everyone a 'loser', 'dork', or the occasional 'dumbass'. You may have barely even been 13, but your language was on like Donkey Kong.

There was a rumor that soulmates could exist. That once every few decades, two souls would be so perfect for each other that the universe would give them clues to find them. It was rare, so rare that if you had one it kind of made you a target. Well, a target for soulmate-less bullies that is. Soulmates could always feel if their other half was having intense feelings, since those often bled through the connection. Another thing that often showed up was injuries. For example, if one soulmate received a papercut, then the other half would receive the scar as well. Rumors said that really bad injuries could carry over pain as well, although you highly doubted that. In fact, you doubted the whole thing. Most people did.

But every child hoped that just maybe, a tattoo would show up for their 13th birthday. That's when it happened. The first name of your soulmate, written in their first language. Sometimes people will get a fake tattoo, but usually you could tell between the two. Real tattoos shimmered and sparkled when you looked at them. They tingled your fingers when you brushed your hand over the ink, as soulmate magic usually did.

How did you know this?

Because on your thirteenth birthday, after a certain MJ bugged you to go check enough times, you found it.

And you couldn't fucking read it.

You had looked in the mirror, finding that small text on your upper left shoulder. The name you had been waiting and secretly hoping for, for years.

And it was a bunch of scribbles.

Well, it wasn't scribbles, since it was obviously some form of a written language. But even after showing MJ, and the two of you searching every translator app you could find, there was still nothing.

You were stuck as a soulmate to someone who may not even exist.

It could've been a prank for all you know. But MJ would never have done that. But there was no one else in the house, which MJ had so miraculously made sure of. Her parents trusted her much more than your own, who was probably still out with her latest boyfriend. Your mom had told you many times that she wished she was as smart as you, 'gifted with knowledge from your father'. But whenever asked about who the hell that even was, she would always reply that you'd find out soon enough.

So, you were utterly stumped. Facing the inky, magical, four-letter back-tattoo that held your future lover -the one so many people wished they could have- and you couldn't even have a damn clue.

What was a pre-teen to do?

*

A few months after your only friend moved away, you still hadn't shown or told anyone that you had a tattoo. That you were tied to a soulmate for the rest of your life. Your mom kept dating. You tried to stay as far away from guys -at school and home- as you could, especially when your mom's boyfriends came over. They would often get drunk, and occasionally they would get drunk at your house. Those were the night you locked yourself away in your room, praying to God that they wouldn't break it down. That this man was still sober enough to not become physical.