15: alondra

It's been a week since Grady showed up at my dorm. I hadn't gotten around to telling Pritchett even though I know I need to incase he shows up again. I'm hoping he'll just stay away.

Pritchett, Margot, and I are back to normal thankfully. I told them I was sorry, they told me they were sorry, we cried over bowls of ice cream watching a sappy movie and that was that.

Jack and Dylan have kept quiet about Grady which I appreciate more than they know.

I stop quickly and dart around Jack, my skates quickly picking up traction. "Catch me if you can!" I call out over my shoulder and he smirks at me.

"The least you could do is make it hard for me." Jack says, running a hand through his hair as he pushes off to follow me.

I cut a sharp turn just as he's about to touch the back of my shirt and he laughs. I look at him innocently over my shoulder. "You said to make it hard. I might not be able to skate faster than you, but I can certainly cut sharper turns than you."

"How do you know I'm not letting you do that?"

I guess I don't. I push off again and I hear the sound of skates quickly catching up to me. I start to laugh, slowing because I know he's about to catch me and I'd rather not fall to the ground when he grabs me.

He wraps his arms around my waist and I yelp, grabbing onto his shirt to balance myself. "Jack!" I exclaim, hitting his chest.

"Al!" He mimics with a high falsetto and I laugh, pushing out of his grip.

"That isn't what I sound like."

I roll my eyes and skate backwards, "You suck."

"You're getting faster," He compliments and I feel a spark of happiness rise in me because I am getting faster. My jumps are cleaner and my spins smooth. Slowly but surely, I'm getting back to what I used to be.

"Just not as fast as you," I remark.

Jack shrugs, "You took some time off. Plus, I'm me. No one's as fast as me."

If anyone else had said it, I'd say they're a cocky son of a bitch. Jack saying it is just a fact. "Have you thought anymore about the draft?"

"Eh, Coach thinks if I declare for the draft this year I'll be an early pick. That gives me a year to finalize a contract and finish my degree." He says is so calmly you'd think we were talking about our favorite kind of dog.

I tilt my head curiously at him as we skate slowly, "Where would you like to end up?"

Jack's cheeks flush, "Dallas Stars. It's close to my momma and I grew up watching them. Who knows though? I'm just happy to know that teams are interested. A lot of guys don't even get this opportunity."

"You've put in the work that a lot of people also don't do. They'd be stupid not to be interested."

The cool air in the rink feels like home. I spin and Jack smiles at me. "You're in an awfully good mood today."

"What's not to be happy about? We're alive and we're free. Am I not allowed to be in a good mood?"

"It's a good look on you."

I skate quickly around the edges, my skates gliding easily and I feel the wind against my face. Jack is leaning against the wall watching when I come back around. "You know, I think it's ironic that you're from Texas."

His face morphs into one of confusion, "Why?"

"I was supposed to go to TCU. Had a scholarship and everything."