Furthermore, if all of this does not turn out to be a trap and he is in fact part of the rebellion you will remain on this case as spies under fake identities and when we have all the information we need, you will be given the order to kidnap him and take him to headquarters." Demir completed, "Are we all understood?"

"How long will this case take?" I asked
"As long as we need to extract all the information," Demir replied
"What about our other cases?"
"I will assign other assassins onto those cases"

We both looked at Kane, he hadn't uttered a word since our encounter at the door. "What's the prize?" He asked.
"If you do well on this case, I will consider putting one of your names forward to become the next head of Assassin's Keep, other than that you will each receive 8,000 gold marks for this mission," Demir said finally.

Kane's eyebrows creased as realisation finally overcame him and he finally took his eyes off the window behind the desk to look at Demir, "You're retiring."
"Yes." Demir sighed, "But my decision will not be based wholly on your performances on this case, it will be on your entire time here."

Kane scoffed, the disinterested look on his face turning to anger,"I have no doubt that you will have an easy time choosing your successor, what with Rajaa Kumari Azura sitting next to me, this is hardly a fair competition. She has always been your favourite, we all know that."

"You scared of me Kane," I sneered.

"Both of you, stop it!" Demir demanded, standing up, his voice just below the shouting level, "You will both do this mission and you will do so by collaborating with each other, there will certainly not be any backstabbing and no room will be left for errors. Now is that understood?"

He looked down at us, his bulky frame covering the thin strip of window, blocking the light from entering the room. Kane raised his eyebrows, expressing a hint of fear as if he suddenly remembered what Demir was capable of, before nodding his head at the same time as me. "Yes, all is understood," both of us replied in unison.

"Good. Your fake identities and information files on this case are currently downstairs in reception, you will be expected to pick them up yourselves. I have also arranged a masterclass for the both of you, which will teach you the basics of spying. I believe it will be starting in 10 minutes." Demir said, looking at his watch before seating himself back down on his chair, "You are both dismissed."

'I will consider putting one of your names forward to be the next head of Assassin's Keep'. The oh-so-sweet words rang in my ears again and again; also serving as a reminder for me to not let Kane win. I glanced at him from where I was standing in the queue to the receptionist's desk, my foot tapping nervously on the stone tiles.

We had always hated each other's guts since we were children and our hatred for each other only increased after being continuously pitted against each other in the fighting rings.

"Stop it." Kane gritted out from in front of me.

"What?" I asked, unable to keep the anger out of my tone.

"The tapping, it's annoying."

"No, it helps me think."

"It's annoying."
"I never asked you to listen to my tapping. You can leave if you wan...."

Suddenly Kane turned around, his eyes coated in anger and he shuffled a bit closer, "Listen here, Princess," he said, his voice dropping a notch so that nobody else could hear us, "I know enough about your whole soppy and special adoptive father backstory you share with Demir to know that you have more of a chance of getting this position than me, so just know that I
won't hold back on anything, if it means getting this job."