Chapter 8 - The Cursed Children

Start from the beginning

"And how are you going with your school subjects other than Herbology?" sighed Vincent as he received no answer and gave a small tap to Neville's head with an empty bottle. "Neville, I'm glad that your taking your physical training seriously, but you can't just slack off on other things as well. If you need help with a subject then you can ask me or Hermione, we're both happy to help whenever you need it."

Neville grimaced as he rubbed the spot where Vincent tapped. After some silence he finally replied. "I think...I'd like to try doing my subjects on my own for a bit...You guys have helped me with so much without me doing anything for you... I... I just think that... that I need to learn how to do things myself."

"...Oh," said Vincent, taken aback slightly. "Well...Um...Just remember we're always here to help."

"Sure," Neville nodded silently as he stared at his bottle. "Excuse me, Professor? I'm about done here."

"Same," Vincent also held his up to for Professor Sprout to see.

"Ah, very good Longbottom, Wong, five points to Gryffindor," The Herbology teacher, a rather small, squat, woman said happily as she took both bottles from them, only for her slap herself on the forehead lightly. "Oh, silly me, there is no House Cup this year due to the tournament, force of habit I guess."

"Hold on, did you say only five?" Ron frowned from across them. "If the House Cup was still on, wouldn't both of them have gotten five, making it ten points?"

"Ah, yes, Mr. Wong here will no longer earn points for the Gryffindor house," Professor Sprout announced, leaving several students, mainly Gryffindor's, to talk amongst themselves. 

As the noise grew louder, with some Gryffindor's even going to voice complaints, Professor Sprout sighed as she started explaining. "Although it would have been announced at some point, maybe next year, I suppose I could explain why this decision was made.

"Due to several continuous complaints from some students and families about any points that Mr. Wong earned for Gryffindor shouldn't count due to him not really being a part of the House let alone the school. The teachers as well as the Headmaster decided, for fairness, that Mr. Wong would no longer have any part in any future House Cup. This also applies to Miss Arnya as well."

"And in case anyone asks, Mr. Wong was notified of this by owl and agreed to rule himself during the holidays, so in no way was this decided without his input, that's all," Professor Sprout finished up. "Now chop chop, these Bubotubers aren't going to squeeze themselves."

Soon, the bell rand, signalling the end of class as all the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs exited the classroom.

"Why did you agree to it Vincent?" Seamus Finnegan muttered sourly as the group of Gryffindor's marched across the field to Hagrid's hut. "Now we're going to lose even more points in potions class."

"Snape never gave Vincent any points in the first place," Pavati Patil voiced out.

"Yeah? Well Vincent stopped plenty of us from losing them," Dean Thomas pointed out. "Now that he no longer represents Gryffindor, Snape won't hold back on taking points from us in the future."

"Although, it could just be me, but doesn't it seem like Snape has mellowed out somewhat these past couple of years? I mean, look at Neville, I reckon I've only seen the Professor yell at him twice last year. That's a record if I've ever seen one," Pavati thoughtfully said as Neville flinched at his name being called.

As the other Gryffindor's kept chatting amongst themselves, Vincent, the topic of the discussion, was still thinking about Neville's words.

"Want's to do things himself for a bit...Did I perhaps help him too much?" Vincent thought as he looked at the boy. "Is that even a thing? Maybe I should give him some space for now."