Finally I had the chance to judge him, making a nasty comment about him.

Maybe I should've been scared, though. I had no idea what he went to prison for. Then again, I trusted my brother not to associate with murderers or worse.

"Fuck you, Bellamy," he spat, and I scowled back.

"You fucking wish." The adrenaline coursed through me as I leaned forward, my palms on the table and my chest rising and falling at a dangerous pace.

My brother stood forgotten on the sidelines, watching our exchange with a frown.

Just a simple fuck you from Noah made my blood boil, the look in his eyes telling me exactly how low he thought of me—his best friend's little, miserable sister.

"Guys," Isaac tried, stepping closer.

"Don't you have work to do or something?" Noah said, and I pressed my fingers into the table, hoping to contain some of the anger building up inside and not go full berserk in front of my brother. "Oh, wait..."

"You stupid piece of sh—"

Noah scoffed, leaving his breakfast behind as he stormed upstairs, and I sighed in frustration. Oh, what I wouldn't give to just wrap my hands around his neck and—

"Really, Bella?"

I looked at Isaac, sinking back into my chair. Shrugging, I grabbed my phone, texting Maria about lunch. The sooner I was out of this house the better.

We agreed to meet at twelve, having a quick drink before we ordered food.

"So let me get this straight," Maria said, placing her wineglass back on the table. "You walked in on Noah Taylor in the shower."

I ran a hand over my face before I took a big gulp of my drink, sitting back in my chair. "Yeah, and he was a real dick about it."

She hummed, studying my face as if she was trying to catch me in a lie.

"I'm serious," I added. "He didn't remember me and thought I was just a stranger, trespassing."

I narrowed my eyes at my friend when the corners of her mouth curled up ever so slightly and she pressed her lips together, holding back a smile.

"Oh, come on," she chuckled, leaning her elbows on the table as she looked at me. "It's a little funny."

"I guess I've changed since the last time he saw me..."

"I'll say."

I ignored her comment, watching my nails and the deep red polish that seemed to have chipped a little since I last got them done. "Whatever. I don't want him to know me anyway."

Maria narrowed her eyes at me, but didn't say anything. Time to change the subject.

"How're things going with Robert?" I asked, refraining from clenching my jaw when I said his name.

I was in no way interested in hearing anything about that cheating piece of shit, but I knew Maria appreciated it when I asked.

She looked at the wine, swirling her fingers through the condensation on the glass as she thought about her response.

The silence made my stomach turn, especially since Maria was the toughest bitch I ever met, and rarely had I seen her this vulnerable.

"Herra?"

She looked up at the nickname that I gave her because I got her last name wrong the first year of college.

The atmosphere had changed drastically, and I regretted asking about Rob.

"I think that..." she trailed off, releasing her wine and crossing her arms. "I think that you may have been right."

My attention was now fully on her, and I was hanging on every single one of her words with my brows furrowed. What the fuck did this asshole do now?

"Been right about what?" I knew what she meant, but I wanted to hear it from her.

She took a deep breath. "That I deserve better."

Finally.

There was only so much I could do or say to help her, to show her what she's worth. The rest is up to her.

I gave her a comforting smile, making a mental note to finally kick the living daylight out of Robert's balls.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, sitting back and giving our waiter a nod when our food was served.

Maria thanked him too, grabbing her burger with a sigh. "Maybe it's time to break up."

It took everything in me not congratulate her, or clap my hands. Although I was happy that she was going to get rid of that snake, I knew she loved him.

"Anything I can help you with?"

She shook her head, taking a bite of her burger.

"Thank you, though." I chuckled at her as she thanked me with her mouth full, and the sad mood was slightly lifted.

We enjoyed our lunch talking about lighter subjects, and just as we were about to order our last drink, her phone went off.

I emphasized that it was more then okay for her to go, deal with the emergency at home, and ordered another bottle of wine for myself when she left.

Might as well make the best of it, right?