The male meets eyes with me, his glance longing, "I-I'm so sorry. I get where you're coming from, I do." The male states in sympathy and understanding, "May I ask what happened? I mean, you don't have to tell me, I just-" He pauses, shaking his head slightly, "I'm sorry, I have this impulse as a doctor to ask people overbearing questions. You don't need to answer that if you don't want to." He states.

I nod, "You're okay." I state, trying to make words fit together in my mind, "I- He has end-stage brain cancer, doctors don't think there's much left that they can do." I state.

"How long?" The male asks.

"What?" I ask, my brows furrowing in confusion as we meet eyes again.

"How long has he had it?" He asks.

I shrug my shoulders, looking back down at my lap as I fidget with my hands, "That's the thing; I don't know how long he's had it or how long he's been dealing with it." I state.

I let out a heavy sigh, dropping my hands in my lap in anger, "I just- I could have done more or done something to help him, I could have realized. I should have realized sooner that he was sick, I should have known." I state, looking over to the male sitting beside me, "I wish I had been told. I wish I had more time. I-I wish I had five more minutes with him." I state, my voice breaking as the last sentence escapes from my lips.

The male nods in understanding, "Time, is a funny thing. We, as a society and as humans, waste it until there is no more left." He pauses as his eyes meet mine, "But, I need you to understand, that this isn't your fault. If he didn't tell you, there is no way you could have known. Most cancer patients don't even tell their own family that they're dying until they're in their end stages. This isn't your fault, it could never be your fault."

I nod slowly, "I just-" I pause, shaking my head as I look back down at my lap, "I wish it didn't have to end like this." I state, my heart dropping in my chest.

The male nods as I look over to him again, "It doesn't have to end like this, though." He pauses, his eyes searching mine, "You can make more of it, you can make more time with him. Instead of sitting here with me, getting all vulnerable, you can go. Go sit at his bedside and go fucking tell him how much you love him until it's too late." The male states as the elevator bell dings.

I sit there, my elbows locked as my arms stay by my side. I don't move, I can't move. It's like I'm frozen there, not knowing what to do now — it all feels to real; it feels to real for me to do something at this point.

"Go. Go be with your friend." The male urges.

I nod slowly, getting up off the ground as I brush out my outfit, "You're not coming with? To go see your dad?" I ask, my brow furrowing.

The male shakes his head, "I have something that I need to do first." He states.

I nod, turning slightly on my heels, "Oh wait, I never asked for your name." I state.

The male grins softly, "Will. Will Halstead."

"As in-" I begin.

"Jay Halstead's brother, yeah." He states, letting out a soft chuckle.

"I worked with your brother on a case." I state.