10 | comfort.

a/n: i have decided to add one more crossover to the 'without you' book series. this crossover is with the 'one chicago' tv series — mainly with the tv show "chicago pd" & partially with the tv show "chicago fire". the crossover will not play a major roll with the storyline, only a few of the upcoming chapters — you will have one character to remember though, which is kevin atwater (you will see how he plays into derek's storyline in this chapter).

i would also like to say that kevin atwater's storyline in this book doesn't entirely add up with his storyline in the tv show 'chicago pd', so try not to mix up the two of them if you do watch the show lol.

anyways, i hope you all enjoy. i love you guys.
------------------------------------------------------------------

derek morgan.

I let out a stifled groan as I jolt slightly to the side, my body aching a bit. I feel the sudden jolt of a familiar touch from around my chest. I glance downwards, my eyes landing on Charlotte -- who is still fast asleep, one of my arms slung around her side as she cozies up closer to me. I grin softly as she yawns softly, her eyes still closed as she dozes off into heavier sleep.

I cover my mouth, leaning my head back a bit as I let out a stifled, wet cough -- as if I had smoken ten packs of cigarettes in the last two hours. The cough is follower by slight wheezing, my nose feeling stuffy as I let out a groan -- my entire body feeling numb and in pain.

"You okay?" I hear a familiar voice speak up.

I glance down, a small smile dancing on my lips, "I'm okay, love. Go back to sleep, I didn't mean to wake you." I state, shaking my head.

Charlotte smiles, leaning up slightly as she rests her palms on my bare chest. She rests her head slightly on her knuckles, her eyes landing on mine as she holds my gaze.

My eyes feel heavy as I try to hold her gaze as well, letting out another stifled cough.

Charlotte's brow furrows, "That's one nasty cough. Are you sure you're okay?" She asks.

I nod, "I am perfectly fine, love. It's just a cough. Don't worry about me." I state.

Charlotte archs her brow slightly at my words, "Are you sure you're not feeling fever-ish?" She asks in a low tone, reaching her hand out to feel my forehead.

I grasp her wrist, resisting her touch, "The hell are you doing?" I ask in a groggy tone, my throat feeling sore.

"Making sure you don't have a fever. What the hell are you doing?" Charlotte fires back.

"Making sure you don't touch my forehead with your cold ass hands." I mutter.

Charlotte chuckles softly, shaking her head slightly, "You need to let people take care of you sometimes, Derek." She states.

"The last time I did that, I got--" I begin but soon cut myself off immediately.

Charlotte's facial expression falls, "I get it, I do—" She pauses as she sits up, making the both of us readjust, "—But I can promise you that you will never get hurt that way again, not on my watch." She states in a reassuring tone.

I shake my head as I grasp Charlotte's wrists, pulling her onto my lap, "Don't do that." I mutter in a low tone.

"Do what?" Charlotte asks, her brows furrowing slightly at my words.

I shrug my shoulders slightly, "Promise me something that you can't control, love. I don't want the guilt on your shoulders if something happens out of your control." I state in a low, rasped tone.