20│Giving In

I should feel guilty, I'd just spent my night with this man, lying through my teeth about ideas for the night.

I should feel guilty, but I didn't.

I mean, in reality, I had no real idea what Dawson did that elicited the need for Luciano to kill him. Sure, drugs were bad and all, but I wondered just how Dawson had managed to get himself on the bad side of the Northern Mafia.

But right here, at this moment, I couldn't stop staring at the body.

I felt a hand grab onto my forearm, ripping me away from where I was standing. I Before I could even register what was happening, Luciano had taken me out from the apartment and into the elevator.

Casually, he pressed his hands against the buttons on the wall, the elevator quickly beginning to head downwards. Just at that moment, we were silent.

"What did he do?" I asked, "What did he do that was so bad he needed to be killed?"

Luciano looked at me. "This will be the only time that I ever explain myself, understand? Specifically, he went in and started working on my own private drug operations before then interfering with the shipment. Long story short, he cost me about $12 million."

My mouth gaped open. "You're joking?"

Luciano raised a brow, "Why would I joke? The fact that he did that, had no remorse, and is a member of the Apulian Mafia? Something that to be done, I had to make a stand. I was going to be nice about it, obviously, which is why I sent in Paulo. But he failed."

I nodded and Luciano watched me a little more intensely, "Not you though. You carried out that mission perfectly, and you've never even done anything like it before."

I shrugged, "It felt natural. I've been making up stories and feigning interest in men for the sake of money for years. They're always starved for attention, and even the tiniest bit will have them wrapped around your finger."

"Well, regardless of the how and what, you did well. I hope you're ready, I have proof that you're capable, so I'll be assigning more missions."

I leaned back against the elevator wall, "Whatever you need boss," I stared at him for a moment, "You didn't expect me to be able to do it, did you?"

His gaze turned to me, "What?"

"You didn't think that I could do it. That's why you were having such a fit about it before." I tried to say it as casually as I possibly could, though deep down, I was saddened.

"I suppose you can't blame me. It's a different world-"

"That's what you keep saying, that it's a world I'm not used to. I know it better than most and trust me, Luciano, I'll be the best-damned seductress you've ever had. Every mission, to perfection. Because that's what I do, regardless of whether I'm experienced or not."

He paused, still staring at me. Then, I watched his eyes move down slightly to the mess of red and bruising over my neck. "Fine, I trust you on that statement. And you're right, I did doubt you. But you have proved me wrong."

I waved my hand jokingly, giggling, "Stop Luce, you're making me blush."

Thankfully, the elevator door then opened, relieving me of the awkward situation that I had just created. Once again, why the hell did I say that? It's like I had no control over my words at all.

The quicker we got out of this complex the better. There was one car waiting in front, silent and unnoticeable to the general public but roaring with readiness to me.

"What about Alex and Sol?" I asked, my breath just words on the wind.

Luciano shouted back, "Other arrangements have been made, now come on, get in the car."