17

Flashback- it had been a few days after the events of the fold and you had found a small barn to stay in. Ivan was standing outside in the middle of the night. Just watching. You sat next to the darkling on the hay covered floor. "This all wouldn't have happened if you didn't care about Alina so much" you said. The darkling turned his gaze to you. "You think I care about her?" he asked, "of course you do. Why else would you do everything?".

"What are you saying? That I love her?" he asked, "I dunno what it is. But its something other than just being 'connected" you replied. "Sometimes I wish I had been the sun summoner, because then you wouldn't be so in love with her and you'd be more in love with me". The darkling stood up from the floor and towered over you. "Do you think I don't love you? I'm the only one who loves you" he sneered, pulling you up from the ground.

"How dare you think that I don't love you. How dare you think that I love, Alina" he said. "I know you love Alina. I know that you favor her over me cause she's the sun summoner" you snapped. "You are one ungrateful grisha" he sneered, backing away from you. Shadows crept into the room. The lanterns were covered in an inky black shadow. "I will make sure that I'm the only one who loves you. Because no one else will".

The darkness withered. It twisted and it turned. There was a clicking sound. You slowly backed up and raised your hands. Water quickly formed into the air but the shadows jumped at you. The creature grabbed your face with its hand. It had no mouth. No eyes. No face. Its claws dug into your skin as you let out an agonizing cry. "Please stop!" you pleaded. There was no answer. The creature threw you against the wall and more of them stepped out of the shadows.

The creatures grabbed at you from the floor. Their claws sinking into your skin as you continue to sob and beg. They slashed at your face. Each hit tracing your face with scars as black as night. The creature took one final look at you. Then vanished back into nothing. You lay on the hay covered floor, with tears streaming down your face. Black blood dripped down from the scars that traced your face.

The darkling walked over and knelt down in front of you. "You are the one that I love. Never forget that". "Ivan!" shouted the darkling, and he came running in. "heal him as best you can" he ordered. Ivan nodded and knelt down in front of you. He raised his hands and began to heal your face. After a few minutes Ivan sat you up against the wall. The lanterns illuminated the black scars that now covered your face. They were a reminder the darkling had given you. A reminder that only he could love you. Only he would ever love you.

End of flashback-

You woke up in a cold sweat and sat up from the bed. You breathed heavily and pulled your head into your knees. Tears fell from your face and they landed onto the bed. "Why do I miss you? Even after everything you did". You burst into tears as you held your knees to your chest. Mal instantly woke to find you sobbing right next to him. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked. But you didn't answer. "I'm gonna go get Nikolai," he said, pulling on his clothes.

Mal left the room and began searching for Nikolai's room. He figured that he would've been the room meant for him since Nikolai was probably gonna stay with you. Mal opened his fifth door to find Nikolai sitting on the bed with his back against the wall. "Did you need something?" he asked, "it's y/n" replied Mal. Nikolai quickly jumped out of bed and pushed past Mal and made his way back over to where you were.

He pushed open the room to find you sitting on the bed, sobbing. "y/n" he said with a worried tone, "what's wrong?". But you didn't answer. Nikolai sat down in front of you and he rested his hand on your knees. "y/n, I'm here" he said softly. You lifted your head up from your knees to see a worried Nikolai sitting in front of you. Nikoali opened his arms and you clutched onto him.

Your face was buried in his chest as you continued to sob. He kissed your head and rubbed your back. "It's okay, I'm here," he said. "What happened?" asked Nikolai to Mal, "I dunno. I woke up to him crying" he replied. "I know you two had sex" he said making Mal freeze. "Look I-". "I'm not mad" said Nikolai, "well I am, but I can't be mad at this moment". "Go to my room and get some rest. I'll stay here with him". Mal simply nodded and left the room.

"y/n, what's wrong? What happened?" he asked. "I had a dream" you sniffed, "a memory". "And what was that memory about? Do you wanna tell me?" Nikolai asked softly. You nodded. "It was when the darkling hurt me," you replied. Nikolai stiffened. His body was filled with rage. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," he said, kissing your head. "I know that must've been-".

"He said that no one else will love me like this," you said, cutting him off. "That's not true, because I love you," said Nikolai. "I will always love you y/n. I don't care if you have scars or if you act on emotion. You're the one who my heart belongs to, and I know you feel the same". You nodded and Nikolai lifted yours to face him. "I love you" he said, placing a kiss on your lips. You kissed back. "I do too".

"Do you wanna go to bed?" he asked softly, "we don't have to. We can stay like this". "I wanna stay like this a little more" you replied, burying your head in the crook of Nikolai's neck. "That's fine with me". You and Nikolai stayed like this for a while. You in his lap with your head in his shoulder. His arms wrapped around you. "Do you wanna head to bed?" he asked. But there was no answer. Your soft snores filled his ears. A massive smile was plastered onto his face as he laid you down.

"You're something else" he chuckled, stroking your hair. "I love you". He placed his lips onto yours and slid into the spot next to you. Nikolai pulled you closer to him and wrapped an arm around your body. "Goodnight".