2.3: betrayal

All around Magnolia Fairy Tail wizards were engaging one another in brawls set forth by Freed's rune traps. Makarov watched the Status Reports in shock as mage after mage took one another down, further dwindling the count down. He had no one who could take on Laxus and likely win. Even Natsu, who he briefly considered, somehow couldn't get past the barriers. Which didn't make sense in the slightest seeing as he was certain Natsu was neither over the age of 80 or a stone statue.

"Max vs. Warren, Winner: Warren. Vistar vs. Nab. Winner: Nab. Laki took out four, Macao vs. Wakaba's battle is in progress." Happy read out.

"Enough! Stop this, you foolish children!" Makarov yelled.

"Rune traps have been set up throughout the city. And the ones who are trapped inside are forced to fight." Happy continued to read out. "That's the Battle of Fairy Tail that Laxus talked about."

"But why? I don't get it!" Natsu seethed.

"Natsu..." Happy blinked in shock.

"I wanna join too!" Natsu yelled, slamming into the barrier. "What's with this invisible wall! It's like the one from before, too!"

Makarov's arm extended as he reached up and smacked Natsu on the back of the head.

"And what do you plan to do by joining in?" Makarov refuted.

"It's a tournament to see who's the strongest!"

"How is this a tournament?" Makarov barked, before turning to face the stone statues as he crossed his arm over his chest. He took a deep breath, his gaze hardening on the frozen faces of his children.

"This is all just Laxus's plan to get us to wipe each other out. Unless we can defeat the Thunder Legion within the time limit, Erza and the other girls will turn to dust. Everyone is doing whatever they can to prevent that. It'll need something more than our usual way of thinking to take control of the situation." Makarov huffed. "At this rate everyone who was turned to stone will crumble into dust. There won't be any way to restore them."

"Laxus acts bad, but he ain't gonna go that far. Yeah, he gets on my nerves, but he's a fellow guild member." Natsu grinned, doing his version of assuring the man he saw as his grandfather. "It's a bluff, obviously."

"Natsu." Makarov muttered, a little surprised.

"This is just a fighting festival! But then why can't I get out?" Natsu fumed, shoving against the rune barrier.

"I can go through normally!" Happy exclaimed flying in a circle through the barrier.

"People over 80 years old can't pass through... Does that mean I'm over 80?" Natsu exclaimed, mad and confused.

"I don't think you are, but..." Happy muttered.

The runes at the door changed, causing the group to look up at it.

"There's 2 hours and 18 minutes left. And there are... 42 people left." Happy read out.

"42 people? More than half are gone after the infighting!" Makarov grumbled.

Natsy huffed before pausing. He sniffed the air rapidly, and began looking around the guild hall.

"What is it?" Makarov asked, confused by Natsu's nature.

"Huh? Why can't I find his scent?" Natsu asked, whipping his head around and trying to find where the scent was.

"His?" Happy asked.

"Yeah! The Shadow guy from earlier, the one that was floaty black orb! I can still feel his magic in the building, but I can't find his scent anywhere." Natsu exclaimed, pushing his senses to find Nox's scent.