Epilogue

Tears slipped down Alicia's face as she kept her face down on Y/N's chest

Tears slipped down Alicia's face as she kept her face down on Y/N's chest. The life had left the young girl moments ago and Alicia couldn't pull herself together. Madison, Nick and the two brothers stood in the door way. Lewis' dead body laying on the ground in front of them. Nobody spoke, nobody moved. All that was heard was Alicia's mumbled sobs.

Her mind was racing. It isn't fair, she told herself over and over inside her head. It isn't fair. And she's right. It isn't. Alicia minds rolls with memories of Y/N. Remembering seeing her around school before all of this, before the apocalypse. She remembers how nice and helpful, caring Y/N was when her uncle brought Alicia to wherever there camp was. She remembers all of it and still doesn't find it fair how such a good person could have their whole life be nothing but pain and torture just to end up like this.

"Alicia," Madison's voice spoke up tearing Alicia from her thoughts. Madison gently bends down placing her hands on Alicia who immediately jerks up and pulling away from her mother.

"Don't!" Alicia shouts through tears. Her eyes meet her mother's. Madison takes a step back looking down at her daughter shaking her head.

"Alicia, we have to go," Madison says back, her voice low.

"Then go!" Alicia shouts tearing her eyes away from her mother and back down to Y/N's lifeless body. Alicia's lips quivered looking at the girl's face. More tears began streaming down her cheeks as she removed her hands from the place she was stabbed. Her blood stained hands reached up to Y/N's face as she gently rubbed her thumbs back and forth.

"Alicia, I know it hurts-"

"You don't know anything!" Alicia shouts tearing her eyes from Y/N's face back to her mother. "You let her go! This is your fault!"

"Alicia-"

"No Nick!" Alicia cuts her brother off who tried to speak. He stays over by the two brother's crossing his arms over his chest. "You caused this! You could have stopped her from leaving the ranch, but you didn't!"

"Alicia she made up her mind. I don't own her," Madison said shaking her head.

"You still could have stopped her! You were the last one to have seen her!" Alicia's eyes full of tears look back and forth between her mother's eyes. Madison just staring at her daughter. "She gave you a letter addressed to me. Why didn't you give it to me?

"Alicia-"

"WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE IT TO ME?" Madison clenches her jaw.

"For your protection."

A mad chuckle escapes Alicia's lips as she lets go of Y/N's face and getting up to her feet, facing herself towards her mother.

"My protection? MY PROTECTION?" Alicia shouts. "You had no right to keep that letter from me! You made me believe for a year that Y/N just left without a goodbye! You made me feel worthless! I wanted to kill her myself looking for her! I almost killed myself looking for her and when I found her I couldn't pull the damn trigger because I love her!"

Silence fills the room. Nobody else speaks or move. All eyes were on Madison and Alicia.

"She's dead because of you mom. Y/N's dead because I couldn't get to her fast enough because you didn't give me the letter..." Alicia backs away from her mom and goes to turn but stops. "Where is it?"

"Alicia-"

"WHERE IS IT?" Alicia's words echo through the room as Madison looks down to the ground nodding. Slowly she reaches into her back pocket before extending her arm out to Alicia. Alicia swiftly takes a hold of the letter and turns away from her mother. "Everyone get out."

"Alicia, you-"

"GET OUT!" Alicia cuts her brother off once again but it does the trick. The two brothers leave first as Nick waits for Madison. However Madison stands there a few extra moments staring at the back of her daughter before nodding her head slowly. Madison turns on her heels and bends down picking up her gun that Y/N had use. She places it in her holster as she walks over to Nick and a dead Lewis, but before walking out she pulls out a knife walking towards Lewis and bending down. Swiftly she drives the knife through her head to make sure he doesn't come back. After that the woman stands and heads out the door with Nick following leaving Alicia alone.

The green eyed girl took a deep breathe sitting down beside Y/N as she fumbled with the note in her hands. Swiftly she opens it and begins reading it word for word.

Dear Alicia,

I'm sorry. This isn't the way I wanted to say goodbye, but right now the only thing on my mind is keeping you safe. Me being here on the farm, it's not helping you. If anything it's only caused more damage. I know you may disagree with that. Maybe a lot of the people here would but look at it from my perspective. Me staying here, it only puts a target on you and your family. I need to go, hunt down some of the people I grew up with. Find a way to steer clear from my uncle.

You probably won't understand. I'm not going to ask you too. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't understand either. But Alicia I want you to know that I'm sorry. I really am. I'm sorry that you were brought to that place. I'm sorry that those people hurt you. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you fully. On the other hand, I'm happy to have finally met you. Although I wish it was in better circumstances, the universe tends to do things in odd, mysterious ways. I'm grateful I met you and that you have such a strong connection with people who will be able to protect you more than I ever will be able too.

I have to wrap this up. I hope this note finds you alright. But before I wrap it up I have to say one last thing. Over the time we've gotten to know one another and the time we've spent together I can't help but have feelings for you. I love you Alicia. I truly do and that's why this is so hard to do. Maybe one day we'll see one another again. Maybe the universe will bring us back together and I won't have to run away.

Stay safe,
Y/N

Alicia's eyes close as more tears spill from her beautiful eyes. She folds the paper back up and slips it into her pocket. She keeps her eyes closed seeing Y/N's eyes appear. A small yet sad smile inches to the girl's shaking lips. Afterwards her eyes slowly open and she reaches into her boot pulling out her knife. She bites down on her bottom lip as she gets up on her knees, scooting closer to Y/N. And before the girl knows it she's placing the knife at Y/N's ear but hesitating.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry," she whispered adding gently. "I love you Y/N." Just as her words escape she takes the knife and drives it through Y/N's head making sure she didn't come back as one of those things. One of the dead. But afterwards Alicia slowly leans forward and closes her eyes, gently placing a kiss upon Y/N's cold lips. After that the girl stands feeling her whole body shake. She fights it opening her eyes and slowly turning on her heels heading for the door. Knowing in her head and in her heart she'd always have Y/N with her. Even if that'd be in spirit and in memories.