21. The penthouse

Depuis le début

Musa feels a knot in her stomach-her mother Matlin was an opera singer. It was as if her mother had, in a way, been reborn into her own little fairy. A hand, warm and loving, rests on her shoulder. She looks up, crossing two beautiful amethyst eyes and a funny magenta wisp.

"Muse, is everything okay?" says Riven as he sits down next to her.

"Y..yes..."

Riven's hand slides gently over her face.

"You're crying..."

"My mother...my mother is like here."

Riven adds nothing more, merely kissing her forehead.

"Come on, come on, dinner is ready."

The following week, the little family left for Melody. The very morning of their arrival, they had an appointment to see one of the two houses Musa had chosen. It was an apartment downtown, on one floor, large, bright and renovated. The real estate agent, a petite guy with the air of a great hustler, showed the couple the house. The kitchen was open-plan with the dining room and connected to the living room by an archway. The house had two bathrooms, one with a laundry room, and two bedrooms. Riven looked puzzled at the house and, after talking about the price and all the other stuff, said goodbye to the realtor and talked to Musa.

"This guy overestimated the house, it's not worth that kind of money!"

"Yeah, what a disappointment! From the pictures it looked nice, but the rooms are small..."

"And only two..." he says looking away and blushing. Musa understands and laughs.

"Well? What are you laughing at?"

"Do you want more children?"

"I'm not ruling it out, pixie..." he says kissing her fiercely. "We'll see the other one tomorrow. If it doesn't work out, we'll start our search all over again!"

"Yes, we must not give up!"

Waiting for them at home were the two little ones and the babysitter, an acquaintance of Ho-Boè. The man, in fact, ran a business on Melody, a business he started after his wife's death to support the only daughter he had. Because of this, he could not look after his grandchildren, at least in the morning. Riven pays the woman and joins Musa and the twins.

"When we're staying at the new house, I want to get a piano," she says as she prepares baby food for the twins, who had been weaning since early summer.

"Anything you want, pixie..." He says munching on a carrot. He then looks at the two hungry little souls sitting in their high chairs with their mouths gagging. Riven snorts with laughter.

"I swear, I've never laughed so hard in my life since I've been a father!" he says wiping away tears.

"Why? What's going on?" she asks as she whips up the cooked vegetables and meat to make gruel.

"Look at them yourself!"

Musa turns around seeing the two drooling. She laughs in delight as well.

"They have the same face you do when you see pizza or a grill!"

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean!"

"Nothing, they're your kids," she giggles.

After feeding the little ones and putting them to sleep, Musa and Riven eat lunch in silence. Riven no longer felt uncomfortable at his father-in-law's house, though he tried to act as respectful as possible. His favorite place was where Ho-Boé kept the piano with all the pictures of him, Matlin, and little Musa. Harmony looked a lot like both of her grandmothers, while Jayden was chubby like Ho-Boé, but with Riven's complexion and hair a dark, almost purple magenta.

"Your house is...it's a nice place."

"This isn't my home anymore."

"Yes, but... you were born and raised here."

Musa nods, a little sad.

"I hope you don't mind living here. If you want to live in Magix, you just have to tell me..."

"NO! Musa!" he snaps her hands up "I want your happiness. If you're happy, I'm happy. Do you think I'm homesick for my friends? I will see them every day at work... In Magix I have no one but them. My mother has no fixed home, and wherever we are, she will visit us."

"Oh, Riven..." the girl was at a loss for words. The most selfish man in the world no longer existed, before her stood a new Riven, mature and adult.

"Alright Riv, if it's okay with you, let's stay here..." she hugged him, tenderly.

"...and as you can see, Mr. and Mrs. Carter, the building has an elevator," said the real estate agent who was in charge of that house. Unlike the other one, he was more polite and didn't look like a hustler. He opens the front door showing the apartment. Riven freezes with Harmony in his arms hanging like a little monkey.

It was a gorgeous two-story terraced penthouse. Downstairs, there was a huge open plan kitchen with living room and access to the huge terrace, full of greenery and equipped with a pool. Also on the same floor, was the master bedroom, with a gorgeous en-suite bathroom equipped with every comfort. Next to the kitchen, there was a small guest bathroom and a super-equipped laundry room. Upstairs there were three bedrooms and two bathrooms, all decorated in a minimal and elegant way.

The downstairs was all glass, including the bedroom which, however, had thick, elegant curtains that provided privacy. Riven looked at the house and then looked at Musa who was gloating like a baby with Jayjay in the stroller.

"Damn, that's fancy...."

"Well, you have a good eye, Mr. Carter. However, I will confess that the price is a little lower because the old owner wants to sell it off."

"uh, uh..." Riven looks around, then seeing the enthusiasm of the whole family.

"This house is perfect for us!" Musa exclaims.

"Yes, the price doesn't seem bad either..."

"Do you want to think about it?" asks the realtor.

"Yes, we'll let you know in the morning!" replies Musa with confidence.

Back at the house, Musa describes to her father what the house looked like while Riven talks to Nymeria on the phone.

"My darling, don't worry about the price, with what I left you you can buy five of those houses!"

"That's fine mom, but... I don't know, I wouldn't want to waste the money like that."

"If you and Musa like that house, just take it! The children are growing up and you don't have much time to waste."

"You're right. All right, then we'll catch up, bye mom."

"Bye Riven."

The next morning, Riven phones the realtor.

"Good morning Mr. Carter, have you made your decision?"

"Good morning to you. Yes, my girlfriend and I have decided..."