Chapter 23: ʀᴇʟᴀᴛᴇᴅ

I ran away today, ran from the noise, ran away (Ran away)

Don't wanna go back to that place, but don't have no choice, no way

It ain't easy growing up in World War III

Never knowing what love could be

Well I've seen

I don't want love to destroy me like it did my family

"Family portrait": Pink

Zane sent his colleague Jack the photo to confirm my father's identity

None of us could believe that the man involved in human trafficking was my father.

I was still in denial. How is that even possible? How could he be such a monster?

"Baby, you haven't said anything for the past two hours. Talk to me" Zane's worried face came into vision.

"I don't know what to say ZeZe. I never thought my own father would do such horrible things."

"If you are not comfortable, you don't have to say anything." Zane gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

I remained silent for a few more minutes and then I told him what I knew. That man might be my father but a lot of innocent women and little girls are suffering because of him.

"My parents divorced when I was 13, that's about 11 years ago. My father got into alcohol and drugs after he lost his job. I didn't know anything about him for a while until four years ago he got in contact with me again. I don't really recall very well our conversation but I do remember that he apologized. He's still my father and was once my rock, my refuge, so I gave him a second chance. Especially because he told me he was in rehab and doing better. We casually spoke for a while until a few months after we talked again, he asked me if I could lend him money to pay for rehab. Soon that turned into a monthly allowance."

Tears were falling down my cheeks now.

"Then a few weeks ago, he told me he was getting discharged and I wanted to surprise him but when I got to the place he told me, I was informed that he was never there. I called him and a woman answered. It turned out to be his new love and he used the money I gave him on her. I do not know anything else about him or how he's living his life."

Zane placed me on his lap and gave the top of my head kisses. I hugged his waist in return.

"I'm sorry to say that but your father is trash. A fucking piece of shit who didn't know to value and treasure his family."

"It's partially my fault too. I should have been more skeptical at his sudden interest in me and more specifically when he always avoided many of my questions. I guess I preferred not to see the truth because I wanted things to go back the way they were when I was a kid."