Chapter 16: ᴀᴡᴀᴋᴇ

Start from the beginning

The other man was the same height as Zane's brother. He had blond hair and brown eyes. He looked a lot like a surfer boy. His big smile showed all his teeth.

Still none of them matched Zane.

What the hell Katherine? What are you thinking?

"Hey, you must be the 'friend' who called me," Zane's brother said, giving me a small smile and putting emphasis on the word friend.

"That would be me," I said and smiled shyly. They were a bit intimidating now that they were close. They were a lot taller than me but again anyone is taller than me.

"I'm Jake" Zane's brother held his hand for me to shake. I took it and replied "I'm Katherine".

At the mention of my name Jake and the other man exchanged looks and their eyes widened.

"You are that Katherine?" I looked at Jake confused. What did he mean?

"I'm not sure, there must be more women called Katherine" I shrugged.

"Katherine Willson?" The other man asked.

"How do you know my name?" I was shocked and somehow worried.

"Zane talked about you," Jake said, chuckling.

"He did? Why would he?" I was confused and flattered that Zane talked about me to his brother.

"I'm Kaden by the way" The other man said.

Then it struck me.

"Hold on, you said Zane!" I said, realizing that they used his real name. "What if I was not trustworthy?" I asked.

"Believe me Katherine, he would not call just anyone if he is close to death. Much less someone who he doesn't trust." Jake said.

"Well, yeah I mean we're friends, I guess he trusts me" I said, still unsure if Zane really trusted me with his life or it was a desperate thing.

"Friends...sure..."Kaden said smirking and Jake elbowed him. Strange. It must be an inside joke or whatever.

The three of us went inside and I explained to them how I found him. Both of them exchanged looks. There was definitely something else there but I knew it wasn't my place to ask.

"Jake, I want to ask you two things" I said and Jake gave me a curious look.

"You are now here and I know he's in good hands but I'd like if it's not a burden, to remain here until he wakes up." I said but my voice was smaller than I intended.

"Of course you can, actually, I'm sure he'll be more happy to see you when he wakes up than see me" Jake and Kaden laughed and I smiled unsure what to answer.

"Thank you" I said and he winked at me. It wasn't in a flirtatious way but rather a 'you're welcome'.

"As for my second question..." I began to say but I was unsure if it was my place or not to ask. "I'm sure it's not my place to ask and it's none of my business that's why please don't think I'm being nosy but I just want to know if Zane is in trouble. He said to not call the police and I didn't. Yet I'm worried that he might be into something dangerous." I said.

Both Jake and Kaden gave me a surprised look. Did I push too far?

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have as..." I began to say but Jake cut before I could finish.

"He's not in trouble but it's not our place to say it. If he didn't say it until now, he must have a reason. But no, he is not into any kind of trouble." Jake explained and I nodded.