A Knowledge I Never Ask

I stare at the city from my room's balcony, leaning on the rail. The sky is dark orange with red as the sun set, staring at it. Alice is right next to me, holding on a big stuffed lion she got from one of the stores they have here.

The breeze hit my hair as I try to think how this got so bad for us.

All of this was something between Pearl and Julia. It's supposed to be them both, not everyone else. They should have resolved this when they encounter each other. And what Julia did, my mum should have given up right there. End it.

But the desire to let go of her past still haunts her, damaging her and everyone else.

I lower my eyes at my hands, turn them to see my palms. The inside of them are in some way soft, with a few scars from attacks still there. My fingers are long as my mind imagines how I always wrapped them with Maytivoza's.

Her hand is rough, but I get it. She went through a lot and with her work requires her to be outside, it got hard. But whenever I hold on to her hand, it's like her whole body is so fragile, making me want to hold on to her for dear life.

I would do anything to get her back.

"Mommy." Alice jumped up, trying to get over the rail.

I made a small smile to the only joy in my life right now, not sure if I would leave Alice in this world. I think I'm going to help her, in any way I can.

"Come here, My sunshine." I wrap my arm around her as I lift her, let her see the view I'm looking at.

Her eyes widen when she sees the light shining bright around us with wild birds flying above us. Her mouth opens as she examines this sight she'll never forget.

"Wow." She gasps.

I move back when she said that, hear her say something else besides "mommy". I almost tell her to say it again but someone opens the door in my room, turning my attention.

The sight of my mum ruined this moment with me and Alice, put her down as Pearl walks up to us. "Seems like I'm looking at a granddaughter right now."

I scuff, push Alice closer to me. "Don't you even think of hurting her."

I stare hard at her, still not letting go of what went on the past years. Just because she's helping us doesn't mean she could have gone behind our back. When we continue to discuss the rest of the plan, the more she spoke the more I like it.

But something feels off. It's like she needs to be closer to this Brown person to help us, still don't trust this plan. I still have an idea of what to do when I sense backlash from my mum, but I need to trust her, for now.

"Huh. You still despise me, don't you?" She said, make it seems like I should pardon her.

"I understand what drives you to do what you did, but it's clear you still are close to those people who multiple times tried to kill me. So let's say I don't hate you, just don't respect you."

She frowns at me, grabbing the black metal chair next to her, swings it in her direction. "Very well. You can feel anything you want for me, but I need to talk to you."

She crosses her arms as she stares at me, abhor her. I slide Alice from my arms and told her to see Zeke. For a moment she looks lost to who this Zeke person until I tell her the man who stays in the room with us or the one who eats a lot of bread, she quickly run.

I didn't trust myself for allowing her to go on her own but I know she's smarter than she looks. She's just like her mother.

"What do you want?" I sat down at the opposite chair in front of her.