Thirty-One

« 31—REALITY »
~~~•~~~

~~~•~~~"During the attack on the City of Bo- Talianna Herondale what on earth are you doing?"

~~~•~~~
"During the attack on the City of Bo- Talianna Herondale what on earth are you doing?"

Talia looked up from where she was sat and met the eyes of a bewildered Victor Aldertree. Izzy was stood beside her biting her lip to stifle her amusement as she glanced sideways at Talia. The dark haired girl was fully recovered and stood with the rest of the Shadowhunters in the main control room as they were all briefed.

Talia stopped her movements and held still, "I am eating, it is something you do when you are hungry or when your medic advises you to keep your sugar levels up," Talia continued munching but raised the packet towards the older man, "A Dorito for you sir?"

Aldertree scowled at her as a couple of chuckles were heard throughout the room, before turning back to the group, sneakily moving to take one of the crisps without the rest of the room noticing.

She smiled in satisfaction as she quietly munched the crisps as Aldertree continued his speech, "As I was saying, Jace Wayland fought bravely, and thus the Clave, in their wisdom, has exonerated him from all crimes."

Talia noticed Jace appear from her left, moving to stand behind Izzy. He seemed to be avoiding attention as his eyes rested on the floor, apparently feeling the rest of his colleagues' eyes on him.

Since Jace had returned, there'd been an unease around the Shadowhunters, they seemed unhinged from everything that had happened. Whether they kept on with work or not, they were afraid.

Setting down her bag of crisps, she scanned the room for a certain raven haired man but landed on nothing in the room. He wasn't here.

She had tried looking for him once he had left the building a few hours ago but had no luck. She was hoping Jace would have been able to feel his whereabouts more than she, as his parabatai.

"Why isn't Alec here?" Izzy echoed her thoughts, her voice low as Aldertree continued speaking. She looked refreshed and Talia couldn't be happier.

"He needs some space," Jace deadpanned, his eyes not moving from Aldertree as he moved around the room, as though inspecting each of the members of the New York Insitute.

Jace had told Talia about the attack on the Silent Brothers and how Valentine had stolen the Soul Sword, meaning that he was now in possession of two of the Mortal Instruments, the strongest vessels of power within their world.

"Our mission now is to find out what he plans to do with them and when."

Aldertree became irrelevant when Talia caught sight of Jace's face. He looked tired, exhausted even. The frown lines etched into his forehead stood out more today than they had when she'd seen him last. His eyes almost looked hollow, like they would burn if they met the sun.