5 ~

Ye jaan lekar ke jaan meri
Tumhe jeene main aaya hu
Main tumse ishq karne ki ijazat
Rab se laya hu

After giving up my own life, oh my life, I have come to live you.
I have even asked God to permit me to love you.

•••

December, 2016
Muzaffarnagar, UP

The House was beautifully lit up. And there wasn't a single corner where one can find peace and isolation. Every place in the house was decorated with lights and flowers that distinguished it from rest of the houses in their society.

Cars were neatly parked outside and elderly men were sitting on chairs and young men from neighborhood were busy asking them about what's and how's of the wedding function.

Children of neighbors and relatives were bound to create fuss for elders. That day witnessed the same trend. Everyone was busy in making oneself look better and pushing the job one was assigned by the bride's mother on other was all visible on that fine day.

Everyone seemed to be competing one another in terms of their make-up and get-up, especially women.

The house was echoed with voices of people of all sorts but none could match Nadiya's.

"Koi hume batayega hum kaise lag rahe hain? Kya dulhan ko sara pyaar milna hota hai, dulhan ki behan ki koi ehmiyat nahi ?" (Is anyone going to tell me how I look right now? And why is it so that all the importance and love is showered on the bride and not on her sister) complained Nadiya with an expression of utmost concern and rolled her lips.

Her statement seemed to have surpassed someone's line of tolerance as Nadiya's jukebox was active since morning that day.

"I wish I can also get rid of this girl very soon. Had she been a year or two elder of what she's now, I'd not minded sending her to groom's place," sighed her mother who was dearly engaged in the preparation of welcoming the groom and his people.

"Why not now Ammu?" questioned Nadiya and a roar of laughter was erupted and flowed in the room.

"Shut up everyone! What is this girl speaking?" a remark passed by one of the guests.

That statement was just a spark that gave powers to many dormant mouth of the dogmatic heads there.

"Are you jealous of your sister's marriage girl? I see instead of helping us out you're complaining about your not getting married that also at the age of 15," said an astonished woman.

"I guessed she be eyeing someone as her groom here in the gathering maybe that's why she is pressurising her mother..." added another.

"Hey no! I was joking not pressurising my Ammu. Sachi (truely)" Nadiya defended herself.

"Hey girl you've got no shame? People are so worried here, can't you just shut your bloody mouth and at least let us do our work if you are in no good mood to assist?" scolded a lady with shrewdness in the voice.

Her remark was enough to break Nadiya's delicate heart. She stood up with a puffed mouth, without uttering a single word and made her way silently through the crowd and got engaged in searching a spot perfect for lamentation that was an ever-rare thing of her nature.

Her mother turned around to witness the same and finding Nadiya leaving made her upset.

"Bhabhi, please call her. She has got miffed, I guess. It is not a good thing for people being upset like that." spoken Nadiya's mother amidst unlocking the cupboard from where she was supposed to take out Aaliya's jewelleries.