Jake couldn't stop his wolf from growling at his mother. "Mum! Stop insulting her!"

His mother stepped back, looking hurt as she turned away from him. "So you meet a beautiful girl and suddenly, you're growling at your mother?"

"Mum, I didn't mean it that way...that wasn't me; it was my wolf."

"Listen to me, Jake. Do you remember the Brandit Pack? They dissolved because their alpha mated with a human and other packs started attacking them from far and near...Do you want that to happen to this pack?"

"No, but—"

His mother interrupted him, "No buts Jacob. Listen, this is what you're going to do. You're going to suggest in the next conference meeting that the blind...that Ciara is given as the human sacrifice—"

"No way, mum...I can't do that."

"Look at it this way. The Moon Goddess has blessed you with a way out. The vampires requested for a human sacrifice just when you discovered that you have a human mate...that can't be coincidence, right?"

"But the same Moon Goddess gave her to me as my true mate—"

"She made a mistake...no one is perfect. Don't ruin your life and don't ruin the pack. Jake...this is the only way out."

"But—"

Jake's mother shushed him and then enclosed him in an embrace. "I know how you feel, son, but this is the best way...the only way."

Jake's eyes reddened as he withdrew from his mother's embrace.

Knowing that his mother was right, Jake eventually had to agree, even though he could feel that his wolf was unhappy with his decision. "You're right, mum. It's the only way. But how are we going to get the other Council Members to agree?"

"As long as you raise your hands this time, the council members are easy to deal with. Leave everything to me...rest a little, yeah?"

With those parting words, Jake's mother walked out of his room, humming. Jake flung himself to his bed and although he knew his mother's advice was right, he felt really hollow, as though he was about to be empty forever. His eyes were sore and his head ached the more he thought about it. How had the fates made such a mistake as to give him a beautiful, blind, true mate?

After experiencing the wonder of finding his true mate and the unbelievable connection with his wolf, he had to let it all go just because he was given a defective mate. If she had been a powerful werewolf, he could have loved her. He could have tried to be a faithful Alpha like his father, but now he had been robbed of the opportunity because his mate was just not good enough.

***

"All in favor of offering the blind girl as the human sacrifice to the vampires, please raise your hand."

The room was silent as the head of the Council counted the raised hands and wrote the total number in a book that was passed to his father. Jake bowed his head to avoid glancing in his father's direction because he didn't want to see that familiar disappointed look on his father's face.

Everyone in the room waited for his father to announce the results, which were obviously in favor of Ciara being offered as the human sacrifice, but his father didn't say a word for the next few seconds. The palpable silence made Jake look up in his father's direction and he watched as his father, who was glaring at his mother, passed the result to Tyler's father, to announce.

"With a total majority vote of 83% of today's council, Ciara will be offered as the human sacrifice tomorrow evening."

As soon as the meeting ended, Jake walked out of the conference room as fast as he could to avoid his father asking to speak to him alone so he could tell him how disappointed he was.