Chapter 15: The Extraordinary Moment

AN: I'm sorry. I know you've waited longer than usual for this chapter to get up. Thank you for your patience.

After reading this story, I've decided to do some relatively major reconstruction on chapters 1-5, and some minor edited on the subsequent chapters. I think it'll make the story better. However, I won't start that until I'm finished writing this story. Thank you to the people who suggested taking the 'clips' out and adding them to the body of the story. I post those things and love your feedback. Most of the time, I fully agree with you guys. So I'm going to do that – so if you'll bear with me, I'll be fixing up the first portion of the story at some point.

Speaking of which – there are about 5ish more chapters after this. The sequel is still in planning stages. Thank you for reading this, guys!

Also, I've posted some stuff on my profile to update ya'll on the status of my stories. I know there are some Blue Jays readers that are wondering what's going on. If you're curious, check out my page.

Thank you for reading and reviewing this chapter! Please review!

Nothing but the Truth

Chapter 15: The Extraordinary Moment

"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate."
― Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Uchiha Itachi didn't get worried. Uchiha Itachi didn't get worried because Uchiha's never worried. Therefore, he surmised, he was not worried. No, he was not concerned with the fact that Sakura had just run off into the night to go home. He was not worried that she wouldn't come back. He was not troubled with the notion that someone would capture her. He was not worried that she would be found by rogue-nin and they would kidnap her. He was not worried that she was the clumsiest kunoichi he's ever met, and very well could have fallen and twisted her ankle and be lying in some ditch right now. He was not worried that she still had feelings for his foolish little brother – because that would be borderline jealousy. And if there was one thing that Uchihas felt less than worry, it was jealousy.

So, if he wasn't worried, why couldn't he sleep? The day had certainly been long and tiring enough. Surely, he was tired. His eyelids were heavy and his head hurt. His legs shook slightly when he stood. All signs pointed to his body being tired, but his mind was not. That was a lie. His mind was also exhausted. But he couldn't fall asleep – not until she was home.

Damn it, kunoichi. He thought. Standing from his bed, he yanked his pants, shirt, and cloak on forcefully. He walked into the kitchen where Kisame and Deidara were drinking, as always. "Where are you going?" Kisame asked gruffly and then hiccupped. He downed another shot of something very pungent before turning back to Itachi with glazed eyes.

"Out," Itachi replied smoothly. "I'll be back by dawn."

Kisame laughed heartily. "Say hi to the kid for me."

Itachi glared, but walked out the door silently and began to run in the direction of Konoha.

X

"And here I was thinking hell couldn't get any worse," Sasuke muttered under his breath. Sakura arched a pink eyebrow in response, a smirk splaying across her face. Sasuke shifted a little and realized Sakura was sitting completely on top of him. "Would you get off me? You're so-"

"Annoying?" Sakura answered, jumping off the bed so she was next to Sasuke. "You should be nicer to people Sasuke-kun – especially when people are trying to...you know...help save your life."