“But why, Phi?”

“What why?” Mew asks, with a little wrinkled forehead.

“You know, you can still date her,” Gulf explains innocently as if it is the most obvious thing in the world. “It’s not like you will show a baby bump or something…” he shyly adds.

Now, Mew is not sure how to react to that. He can feel a bit of negative feeling in the pit of his stomach but he shoves it down before it can surface and ruins the mood.

“Are you trying to turn me into a cheating husband?” Mew jokes instead. He covers his real feeling with a chuckle.

Upon the mention of husband, Gulf can already feel how the blood rushes to his face. So quickly he sips his milk to somehow cover his face. He can never get used to this, can he?

“N-Not really,” Gulf mumbles quietly still blushing. “But you know, if you like her then I don’t mind you still dating her. As long as she understands what we have.”

Meanwhile, Mew did not miss a thing as he keeps on watching the younger’s expressions and movements. Anyone can clearly see the amusement dancing in his eyes. And his semi fake chuckles turn into real ones. He can clearly say that Gulf is too raw for his own good.

“I can’t believe we’re having this kind of conversation, Nong.”

“Well, yeah,” Gulf agrees scratching his ear. “You started it.”

Mew laughs at Gulf’s words.

“I don’t want to be unfair to you, Nong,” Mew explains honestly. “We’re in this together. We are stuck with each other for two years,” he adds with glint of challenge in his eyes and a smirk plastered on his face.

Somehow, thinking that they are married and Gulf dating another person doesn’t sit well with him. Therefore, Gulf has to know and be assured that although they are not the typical married people; they have to at least show such status to the world without a flaw. Or else, his father-in-law might give him difficulty in the future. He has to prove his worth after all.

Gulf grins, feeling a little relieved, upon realizing that at least he is married to a good person.

“Thanks, Phi.”

“What friends are for?”

Gulf flashes a shy smile. “I will definitely take that,” he says quietly sipping from the mug.

Mew laughs upon seeing the shy expression on Gulf’s face which quite opposite to his words. Then he remembers something they need to discuss.

“By the way, Nong, regarding your internship…” Mew begins a little hesitant. “I hope it’s okay with you that I will have you transferred to our company.”

In all honesty, Mew doesn’t want the younger to work at all. Call him paranoid but he doesn’t want any stress to add on the younger’s plate. Gulf’s condition being pregnant, Mew believes, has already shaken the younger’s entire framework. However, he also doesn’t want to make Gulf feel suffocated by insisting what he wants.

And Mew already heard from his father-in-law that Gulf wants to push through with his internship. Also, he doesn’t want to make Gulf feel like a wife in waiting for a husband to come home. Mew has already done enough damaged to Gulf's ego as a man. The least he can offer is comfort and safety.

“But I’m already expected to call in this week on that company,” Gulf states absentmindedly. He doesn’t expect this twist of conversation at all.

“Um, about that…actually I already settled your transfer.” Mew bit his inner cheek. “Please don't be mad.” He almost closed his eyes a little afraid of the younger’s reaction.

Gulf blinks for several times and thinks how Mew said ‘I will’ earlier though and now it’s done…?

“I...uh, ‘m not mad, well, I’m just quite surprised, that’s all,” Gulf assures the other guy. “So I’ll be working on your company this Monday, then?” he remarks, trying to sound enthusiastic.

Mew gives a small smile. “Yeah, that’s how it goes”

“But you won’t make me your assistant or something to keep an eye on me, right?”

This time, it is Mew’s turn to blink multiple times as his eyes go rounder than ever. He then averts his gaze and scratches his nape with his palm.

Gulf meant it as a joke. But seeing Mew’s gesture, he thinks he just hit a bull’s eye.

“Oh…you will,” Gulf muses finding the older’s gesture entertaining.

“That’s actually my first option but of course I’m open with your suggestions.”

“I want to be treated normally, Phi,” Gulf explains.

“And...if I suddenly become your assistant, it might create rumors and I’m still...” he trails off looking for words. “I don’t know if I’m ready for this…for us to be out in an open. I hope you understand.”

Mew feels a little pang of disappointment but he simply shrugs it off as he understands where Gulf is coming from and he can’t help but again feel guilty about it; also worried, because he doesn’t still know Gulf well. So, he will just hope that the younger is not an over worker because it will not be good for him at the moment.

“I understand, Nong. But please don’t overwork yourself, na?”

Mew is still testing the waters. He still doesn’t know his own safe place in Gulf’s zone. He wants to provide everything for Gulf to, at least, lessen the younger’s burden, but he is afraid that his perspective might be off from Gulfs viewpoint.

Mew keeps reminding himself to not make the younger feel less of a man. He sighs. He doesn’t know now if he’s thankful that Gulf—from the information he gathered and heard from his in-laws—is straight or not.

Mew believes that Gulf’s gender orientation is actually a relief on his part; at least he doesn’t need to worry with unnecessary things like being cautious because Gulf might get the wrong idea or something.

But the backlash of the entire boon is Mew doesn’t know how to step in. They agreed to be friends but the older is also aware that he needs to act more than that. Because aside from the fact that the younger is carrying his child, Gulf is his husband, and even if for a limited time only, the current status will not change that they are indeed married.

Plus, there’s something that adds to Mew’s pile of thoughts more: Gulf for few days that he observes the guy, seems to be very independent.

***

To be continued... :)