Chapter 14

Jaylyn swam out from under the bridge after putting on some clothes she'd left there, people gave her odd looks as she walked by with water leaving a trail behind her but she ignored them. Most likely it was too dark for them to see who she was anyway. What really worried her was the fact that Treen had seen both her and Jack disappear, and to add to that he also had the tape to show the others if they hadn't seen it live back at the precinct. Before she left she would have to get the tape and destroy it. She walked to the NYPD and stayed in the shadows as she looked through the window; everything was dark, no one was there anymore.

She stayed out of sight of the cameras as she made her way to the back of the building where there was a window she could use to break into Lieutenant Treen's office. She broke the lock easily before slipping inside and freezing instinctively to check for anyone who could be watching her. Satisfied that no one was there she stood up and began to go through the files on his desk and in the drawers. A click of a key sliding into a lock made her jump and she turned to see the door to the office opening, Jaylyn tried to back towards the window but the figure, Treen, stopped her.

"I know that's you Jaylyn." He spoke up as he continued making his way into the room. "What I don't understand is how."

"It doesn't matter how. No one will believe you without the tape." Jaylyn growled as she continued glancing around for it.

Treen held up the small videotape. "You mean this?"

"Give that to me... before I make." Jaylyn lunged for it.

"Not until you tell me what I saw!"

"Nothing." She replied defensively.

Treen backed away as she got closer until she had him pinned against a wall. "Don't make me kill you for it."

"What are you?" To her slight confusion he wasn't looking at her in fear, only in curiosity. "No one can just die and come back... what did I see?"

"You mean what did you and everyone else see thanks to Sladen?" She replied in frustration. "I don't know how to explain it without sounding crazy."

"No one could have seen from in here... everyone who hadn't gone home showed up to help us." Samuel replied and held the tape out to her. "I thought you would come back for it... no one else has seen it."

Jaylyn took it from him and backed away in confusion. "Why?"

"You saved me... though it was because of you that I was in that situation." Treen explained. "But... overall the good outweighs that. Now Jack Sladen is gone, no one else should be killed by him."

"You are a strange man Samuel Treen." Jaylyn replied as she broke the tape in half. "Nothing at all like the one I knew in eighteen twenty-nine."

"You mean you... how long..."

"If you mention this, what you saw, what I just told you... I will kill you or get my friend to hunt down your family and kill all of you." She threatened before throwing the tape away and walking out the front door this time, leaving her boss standing alone in the office.

"I'll see you at work then Carver." Treen called out as she reached the door. "No hard feelings right?"

"I think the past came be kept in the past." She agreed calmly as she left.

Jaylyn flinched as Adam stabbed a dagger near her head as she walked into the house. "What have you done?"

"Adam, it's fine. I took care of it." She moved along the wall, his glare following her. "The evidence was destroyed."

"But Treen is still alive, when he talks..." Adam paced the floor in front of her. "No one will believe him... but there will still be suspicion."

"He won't talk. I threatened his life and his family's lives. If he talks I will let you kill them personally." Jaylyn assured him.

Adam walked over to her, searching for any sign of doubt. "You believe him?"

"Yes."

"...Fine, I won't kill him yet." Adam pulled the dagger out of the wall and put it away before ruturning to her and looking straight into her eyes to get his point across. "But one wrong move from him and I will make sure it's the slowest death possible."

"I don't doubt you." She replied unflinchingly.

The next morning things went back to normal, Jaylyn went to work and helped Henry and Hanson close the case and start a new one, Treen kept his promise and stayed silent about what he had seen, and they even got the good news that Jo would be able to come back to work. She was glad to know that despite all the changes in the world that was full of untrustworthy people, she could at least trust some people with her secret, even if they weren't immortal.

Hope you enjoyed the An Eternity of trilogy! I have made a prequel to the series called An Eternity of Change.

I have also decided to make a one-shot book for this series and my other Forever series based entirely on your suggestions. If you have a one-shot then put it in the comments or PM me and I'll write it. The one-shot book will be called An Eternity of Undying Immortality.