Chapter 8

Adam had been following Lucas Wahl through the streets for nearly an hour now, his target could sense he was being followed and would keep tossing looks over his shoulder before picking up his pace, but Adam was sure to stay out of sight, blending into crowds of people walking on the sidewalks, staying in the shadows, and keeping him at a distance. But now they were nearing the quiet part of the city, it was time for Adam to finally take action and show Lucas who exactly he was messing with and the price he was going to pay for doing so. He had expected Lucas to meet up with Jack at some point but so far he had continued going on his own… no matter though, this was better. He wouldn’t have to bother with that disobedient, traitorous immortal getting in his way… a longer time he could use to finish the pathetic ex medical examiner assistant off.

            He caught up with Lucas and quickly covered his mouth with one hand while his other grabbed his victim’s throat hard enough to stop a loud scream from emmiting from Lucas’ throat, but light enough not to choke him. Despite that the man he grabbed tried to scream anyway but was only able to product a strangled sound.

            Adam grinned and turned his head slightly in amusement. “What was that? I couldn’t quite hear you.”

            Lucas struggled weakly in his grasp and Adam could feel a pinch as the man bit his palm in attempts to get free, and he could feel blood run down his hand, but didn’t relax his grip until they were in a dead end alley where no one could disturb them. Once he released Lucas the man sank to the ground and coughed slightly before looking up at him. “Who are you, what do you want with me?”

            “It doesn’t matter who I am.” Adam gave him a predatory look and walked around him slowly. “You won’t live long enough for it to matter.”

            “Look, I know a really powerful person and I don’t think you want him hunting you down!” Lucas backed away and Adam examined the various cuts that already covered him, Jaylyn’s work.

            “I doubt they’ll be a problem to me.” Adam took out a knife and examined the blade for a moment. “Now, let’s play a bit of a game… I’ll be the insane villain and you can be my helpless victim who I get to rip apart for the birds and stray dogs to consume while maggots eat out your flesh and flies lay eggs in your organs.”

            Fear flashed across Lucas’ face and Adam stepped forward, taking his time, fully aware that the person before him could talk as bravely all he wanted but it would never change the fact that he was just a weak man that he would soon be taking out of this world. Adam made a swift cut to reopen a wound on Lucas’ face and blood started to drip diagonally down his face into his eye, another swift cut created another diagonal line across his face. Lucas at least held a bit of dignity by not screaming but Adam wasn’t going to let him get away with silence. He flipped the knife around and smacked the hilt into Lucas’ jaw, which led to a satisfying crack as the injured man fell to the ground, Adam smirked down at him and jabbed the knife just shallow enough not to hit any major organs and slid it across his victims stomach. Next he started to make a similar cut so that, when he was done, he could have peeled back the skin and look at his ribcage.

            “Please… s-stop.” Lucas begged pathetically as Adam stood back to examine his work. “I d-don’t wan-t… t-to d-die… it… it h-hurts. Pl-ease… e-end it.”

            Adam glared down at him before grabbing Lucas’ shirt collar and lifting him up off the ground before slamming him back into the concrete. “You are a horrible excuse for a human being! She trusted you and you siphoned her blood for your own gain… for power! She almost didn’t come back and it was all your fault!”

            “J-Jaylyn…” Lucas spoke in a pained voice as he realized whom Adam was talking about. “Look… I-I swear… I didn’t… d-didn’t w-want t-to kil-l… her.”

            Adam gouged his eyes with the knife, creating two bloody, gore filled holes in his skull, and continued to glare down at him in rage. “That doesn’t excuse anything you have done!”

            Lucas breathed rapidly as he lost his vision, panicking slightly, but quickly slowed it down, and collected himself so his next sentence was more even. “W-why do you care? What, or who is… Jaylyn Carver to you?”

            Adam refused to answer, though the answer flashed through the uncontrollably blind hatred that filled him at the moment, and slammed Lucas’ head into the ground until a large pool of dark ruby was spread out around it like a sick halo. His victim was dead; no one would find the body in the alley for a while.

            “You deserved worse than this.” He hissed to the corpse as he stood up and turned his back to the blood soaked body.

            Blood was covering his clothes but Adam ignored it, he cautiously walked out of the alley and made his way through the streets. The bite on his hand had stopped bleeding and the blood felt sticky as he moved it to clean and place the knife back into his pocket. The few people who were out glanced in his direction as they saw him in the shadows but the light from the dying sunlight provided enough darkness to keep them from noticing anything important that would hint at what he had just done. He didn’t go home like he had originally planned; instead when he finally looked up at where he was going Adam found himself in the alley between Abe’s Antiques and the building beside it. He hesitated slightly before starting to climb the fire escape, he had debated going in the front door but with the state he was in he had decided against it. Adam had walked to this place to talk with one person, and one person only. No one else needed to know he was there besides her.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I hope I got Adam's brutality down accurately.