Chapter 11

“Lieutenant Treen, are you joining us today?” Jaylyn asked as she walked over to Hanson, Jo, and Henry.

            “Yes, I am.” Treen replied as he grabbed a gun. “I want this over with.”

            “I’m sure you’ll be a great help to us then.” She replied before walking out to the cars and getting into the driver’s seat of her own, which she had finally gotten back from Adam.

            Henry got into the passenger seat and gave her a mildly impressed look. “It is nice to see you not glaring in hatred at our new boss.”

            “Say anything about it and I’ll start again.” Jaylyn replied only half joking.

            The other two got into the back seat, which was a bit amusing considering Treen was the Lieutenant and was being forced to sit in back. She drove off and stopped in the area she was supposed to meet Jack, they got out and glanced around at the streets, they had people on them but not compared to other parts of New York.

            “Okay, split up.” Treen ordered. “Hanson you go question people around the area, see if they know anything about a murder. Morgan, search the alleys on the right, I’ll go with Carver and search the left.”

            “On it boss.” Hanson walked off towards the nearest shop.

            Jaylyn began to walk into the nearest alley, she was glad he had chosen the left, now she didn’t have to come up with an explanation for wanting to search this side. Samuel quickly caught up with her and they began to search the main alley for any sign of a struggle, they didn’t find that but Lieutenant Treen quickly found a bloody trail that had become a bit faded and covered with street litter.

            “I think I found something that could lead us to the body.” He announced.

            Jaylyn nodded, she didn’t know what was wrong, but suddenly she began to regret what was about to happen. “Great, if we find the body then the hide out can’t be far away.”

            They followed the blood trail to a smaller alley, of course they didn’t need to follow it, the smell of rotting flesh was strong enough to follow. When they turned into the alley Jaylyn paused and looked down at the bloody mutilated body, she’d seen Adam’s work on people he hated before, but this was different. She had known Lucas, yes he had betray all of them and almost killed her, but she didn’t think he deserved this… or at least not by Adam’s hand. She would have been happy to torture Wahl.

            “What monster…” Treen trailed off as he looked at the body in horror.

            Jaylyn saw the sickened look on her boss’s face and mentally laughed, soon he would be in a similar situation… for some reason though that thought didn’t comfort her. “A very sick person Treen, a very sick person.”

            “Does that include me?” Jack’s chilling voice purred as he came out of the shadows. “I love killing people, tell me, does that make me a monster?”

            “Yes, it does!” Lieutenant Treen shouted. “Now put your hands up, we’re taking you in for questioning.”

            “Why should I listen to a dead man?” Jack sneered. “You’re outnumbered.”

            “I believe you’re mistaken.” Treen raised his gun threateningly. “You’re all alone.”

            Jaylyn glanced between the two men before backing towards Jack. “No, he’s not.”