Chapter 10

“Tell me it why you were talking with Adam just now.” Henry ordered. “Don’t lie to me ether. I know it was him, I heard you two talking.”

            “What did you tell Treen?” She replied, not answer his question.

            “I’ll tell you when you answer me.”

            “Because I’m allowed to speak with Adam, I’ve known her longer than I knew you. It wasn’t exactly pleasant it that makes you feel better, he doesn’t like the fact I killed those people ether.” 

            Henry looked at her in disbelief. “That doesn’t sound like him. Adam would love it if all of us became murderous immortals.” 

            “Right, because you know what Adam’s goals are and I don’t. Henry, I’ve helped him out longer than you’ve known he existed. In fact when he was looking for you he found me instead… then Jack, and now, finally, he found you. If anyone knows what Adam’s plans are it would be Jack or myself.” 

            “Then what are they?” Henry inquired.

            “I’m not sure. Having Abe back, and as an immortal, has… I think… put some changes into his plans. Though I believe he wants to help find out more about the curse and find others who may have it.” Jaylyn told him calmly. “So, now that I have answered your questions, what did Lieutenant Treen say?”

            “I would really rather only have to repeat the conversation once. I’ll tell you and Detective Martinez when we get to the hospital.”

            “She’s out of surgery?” Jaylyn asked as she followed him outside. “How is she?”

            “Stable. She won’t be able to help with the rest of this case but I think she’d want to know what’s going on.”

            When they got to the hospital a nurse pointed them in the direction of Jo’s room. Jo looked over at them as they entered and smiled despite everything she’d been through. “Hey guys, I was wondering when you’d stop by.”

            “Jo, I’m sorry. I should have been out there to warn you.” Jaylyn apologized, thinking back to what she had actually been doing instead. “What have the doctors said?”

            “Well… if I hadn’t been wearing my bulletproof jacket I wouldn’t be alive right now. It slowed the bullet down enough to stop it right before it went into my aorta… They don’t know if I’ll recover enough to go back out in the field after this though.”

            “I’m sure you will. You’re a tough person.” Jaylyn encouraged.

            Henry cleared his throat to get their attention. “I spoke to Lieutenant Treen earlier, he wants us to track down Jack Sladen for murdering his brother’s family. We’re going out to look for where he could be hiding out tomorrow, hopefully we can catch him before he kills others.”

            “Good luck.” Jo told him before letting out a sigh. “I wish I could help.”

            “If it makes you feel better, Lucas Wahl has been killed… Sladen won’t have his little helper anymore.” Jaylyn replied.

            “We should let you get some rest.” Henry led Jaylyn towards the door before Jo could comment on ether of their responses.

            “Was that really all Treen said about the case?” She asked Henry after they were out of Jo’s hearing.

            “To sum it all up… yes.” Henry glanced at her. “Though he did mention you, he wants you under watch because you’re blood was at the scene and now the ‘killer of his family’ tried to kill you. In his opinion he thinks Jack was killing you so you couldn’t tell people what really happened.”

            “So I am a suspect.” Jaylyn stated. “Wonderful.”

            “Lucas hasn’t been reported murdered yet, why did you tell her that?”

            “Adam killed him, it won’t take long for the two of us to ‘stumble upon’ his body while we’re searching for Jack.” Jaylyn grinned. “I can only imagine the state in which we’ll find Lucas.”

            “I don’t wish to think about that.” Henry replied, though a picture of Lucas’ mutilated body lying hidden somewhere.

            “You won’t have to think about it Henry.” For a moment Henry gave Jaylyn a look like she was a stranger. “You’ll be able to see it tomorrow. Just follow the trail of blood from the wounds.”

            “Let’s just get home.” Henry sighed tiredly. “It is best to finish this case quickly.”

            “Of course.” Jaylyn got into the taxi and told the driver where to go. When they got back she paid the driver and followed Henry inside the dark, quiet antique shop.

            “Abe told me what you said earlier.” Henry told her quietly as they walked up the stairs, careful not to wake up his son. “I’m glad you finally told him everything. I know it means a lot to him to finally know everything.”

            “I feel as if I’ve heard that before.” Jaylyn sighed and paused by her room, wincing as she leaned her shoulders against the wood frame.

            “Then it must be true.” Henry replied before continuing his path to his own room.   

Jaylyn waited until he closed his door before taking out her cell phone and dialing Jack’s number. “Hey Jack.”

            “Jaylyn…” Jack’s rough voice replied. “What a nice surprise.”

            “I changed my mind. Meet me in the alley with Lucas’ body in it at noon tomorrow; I’ll bring Samuel Treen for you to take. Torture him as much as you like before I come to finish him off.

            “Of course. Glad you changed your mind.” Jack ended the call and she looked down at the phone in her hand. Henry wouldn’t like this when he found out.

I've been thinking of writing a prequel to this trilogy and was wondering if I did would anyone want to actually read it?