Chapter 5

Jaylyn watched as Henry drew a rough sketch of a genderless human outline before handing her the pencil. “I want you to label all the places you’ve received a killing wound and label how painful it was out of ten.”

            “What?” She looked at him in confusion. “Why? This doesn’t have anything to do with the case.”

            “I know, but I have been curious about this for awhile.”

            Jaylyn sighed and quickly sketched a jagged line from her collarbone to her abdomen before adding the bullet wound on her side, the first death that made her immortal, she labeled it a nine point five. The next one was a slice across the throat, courtesy of another death; it was a five. The third was a group of dots, bullet holes; they were a four. She drew a dot in the side of the picture’s head, another bullet hole, and labeled it as a two. The fifth went a bit over lapping of her first death with a straighter line; it would be a nine. The next was a small dot on both of her arms where Lucas had placed needles to withdraw her blood while labeling another nine point nine as her pain level.

            “Happy? I did your little chart.” Jaylyn placed the pencil down on the wooden table.

            Henry observed the chart before glancing at her. “You’ve only died six times?”

            “No, the other times are hard to draw as injuries… illness doesn’t always show things like that.”

            “Then how many times have you died?”

            Jaylyn arched her eyebrow at him. “Seriously? No wonder they thought you needed a therapist, you’re obsessed with this stuff… thirteen by the way. The unlucky number.”

            “I don’t believe in superstition.”

            Abe walked down into the basement and they both looked up as he walked over. “Are you two finished yet? I just spoke with the Frenchman on the phone, she says she willing to help out this time.”

            “Excellent, you won’t have to steal her book this time.” Henry replied as he headed towards the stairs. “Detective, I think we have work to get back to.”

            Jaylyn turned towards Abe as she started to follow the medical examiner. “He is obsessed with work isn’t he?”

            “Nah, Henry just seems that way at times. I think he just hates the thought of people dying needlessly.” Abe grinned as they left.

            Jaylyn ascended the stairs and caught up with Henry at the corner of the street. “Shouldn’t we call Jo or Hanson?”

            “I’m sure they’re busy enough, the DNA results forensics were checking should be back by now. All we need now is the murder weapon and I assure you by the time we get back the murderer will be locked up in interrogation.”

            She stayed silent after that until they got into the shop that was dimly lit and filled with weapons from all ages throughout history. A woman with black hair walked out to greet them from behind the counter.

            “Ah, Dr. Morgan, Detective Carver, Abraham informed me you two would be stopping by soon.”

            “Yes.” Henry gave a small nod. “Tell us, have you by any chance sold a roman dagger recently?”

            “I sell many weapons and daggers from Rome and other places, can you describe the dagger?”

            “About a foot long from the handle to the tip of the blade I would say.”

            She checked her book, scanning its pages before saying anything. “I have sold two daggers in the last week that fit your description. One is a Gladiator Barbarian Dagger, and the other is a Brass Pugio Dagger… How wide are the victims’ wounds?”

            “It’s a bit difficult to determine, most of them were cut across and stabbed to widen them.” Henry paused for a moment to remember the details. “But I would say the one on the wife was wide.”

            “The Brass Pugio Dagger then.” The Frenchman confirmed. “It has a wider blade than the first blade.”

            “Who bought the dagger?” Jaylyn questioned.

            “I can’t say.”

            “You told Abe you would help us.”

            “They didn’t give a name or ID, when I asked they refused but left before I could stop them.”

            “What did they look like?” Henry asked, Jaylyn could practically see the gears in his head whirling.

            “I don’t know that ether, they had a hood up over their face. They were average height, a bit thin, they wore gloves but I could see their wrist when they moved their hand to pick up the dagger… they’re white.” She gave them an apologetic look. “I don’t know anything else, sorry.”

            “It’s fine.” Jaylyn told her. “Come on Henry, let’s go see if you were right about catching that killer.”

            Ten minutes later they were back at the precinct and met with the terrible news that a suspect hadn’t been found. Jo handed Henry the papers and gave them a look that said what was inside wouldn’t be good. “They’re looking through systems now, if I had to guess I would say it’s that murderer we couldn’t catch last month.”

            Jaylyn saw Henry’s eyes widen as he opened the folder. “What is it?”

            Henry showed her the results. “No, it isn’t from that murderer, these are different, more recent but still out of date a bit.”

            “So who do we look for?” Jo asked as she took the file back.

            “Well we know they’re average height, Caucasian, a bit thin, and obviously they know how to kill for attention.”

            “Jaylyn, you worked with people who killed people.” Jo turned to her. “Do you know anyone who could have done this?”

            “No, those people were ether transferred, killed, or are currently still locked up.” She gave Henry an apologetic look before continuing. “But my partner in that section, Lewis, he might be able to help… Maybe it’s one of his patients.”

            “Carver!” Lieutenant Treen’s voice made her jump slightly. “Why is this killer still out there?”

            “We have a lead.” Jaylyn lied smoothly. “In fact I’m going to go check it out right now.”

            “Good. I want this person brought in.” Samuel’s voice cheered up a bit and he walked off briskly.

            “Did you just lie to our boss?” Jo asked, though the answer was yes.

            “I’m going to look for anyone suspicious out on the street near the scene of the crime. You know what they say, a criminal always returns to the scene of a crime.” She turned to walk out, before looking back at the two over her shoulder. “While I’m doing this why don’t you question Lewis about his patients, I’ll call if I find anything.”

            She could only imagine the look on Henry’s face and thoughts running through his head, she could tell he thought Adam did it and didn’t blame him for it, but he was wrong. Adam wasn’t in any condition to kill someone that night. It was someone else.