48

"WHERE the hell have you been?!" Brinkley hollered at her the moment she returned to the manor.

Charlotte put on the most innocent face she could manage, "What? I went out with Adam."

"See?" Sue came into the foyer behind Brinkley with a warm mug of tea in her hands. "Nothing to worry about." Sue gestured to Charlotte, "He's overreacting. Again."

"Yes, dad. Nothing to worry about." Charlotte interjected playfully but Brinkley's face darkened.

"Fine then. I'm heading back." Without another word, he grabbed his jacket from the coat stand, walked right out and slammed the door shut behind him.

Sue shrugged. "Don't mind him." She smiled, happy to find Charlotte seemingly back to normal. Charlotte suspected she had been worried sick same as Brinkley just a while ago because she saw a dark cloud lifted from Sue's eyes.

"Smells good. What did you make?" Now she remembered her growling stomach and she walked into the kitchen.

"Chicken primavera" Sue frowned, "I thought you said you went out with Adam. Didn't you eat?"

Shit. "No. No. I'm still hungry it's all." She grabbed a plate, piled it with the leftover pasta from the casserole and started wolfing it down. "Still a growing girl I guess." She smiled.

"Oh." Sue's frown lines loosened. "It's gotten cold already. Let me warm it up for you."

"No. No. It's still warm." She flashed Sue a grateful smile and batted her puppy eyes at her, something that she had learned from Adam. Satisfied, Sue took the cue and bid her good night. Craning her ears, she made sure Sue had gone back upstairs to her bedroom before letting out a sigh of relief. She almost blew her own plan. She had expected being interrogated by Brinkley and Sue. That she could handle but now she was perplexed by Brinkley's reaction and why he let off so easy. She shrugged and reached into her trousers pocket. She fingered the amulet inside, feeling the coolness of the stone on her fingertips. Reassured, she grinned and celebrated the success of her insane plan by stuffing a whole forkful of chicken into her mouth with pure joy of gluttony.