24. Us against the world

My eyes, dehydrated from all the crying, fluttered open. Early sunlight streamed through my thin curtains. I checked my phone, hoping for a message from Tom. Nothing. We haven't talked in three weeks. I started to notice that I really can't live without him. He's my bright and shiny light on my darkest days, like today. But I can't just call or text him, I have to think of something to apologize to him.

-

Tom also just woke up. He missed you, but he was still angry with you. He stumbled out of his bed and walked to his kitchen; Harrison was already up. Haz didn't know about the fight you and Tom had last week, you both pretended nothing was wrong. It was just easier that way. But Tom hadn't talked about you in a while, and he was sad all the time. So Harrison kind of knew something was going on between the two of you.

-

I was in the shower as I heard my phone vibrating. I quickly turned off the shower, wrapped a towel around my steaming body and ran towards my phone. Was it Tom? 

I sighed. It wasn't. Harrison sent me a text.

Hey, everything okay? Haven't seen you in a while. X

I had to tell Haz at this point. It would be mean to let him be between you and Tom.

I'll explain face to face. Brunch at Ducks & Waffles?

I really needed to tell Haz. I could really use my best friend right now. I got another text from Haz to meet me in an hour so I got back in my bathroom to change for the day.

"April! So good to see you!" Harrison walked up to me and embraced me in a warm hug. I really needed that hug. I put my arms around him and sighed. "Good to see you too, Haz."

"I already got us a table, walk with me." Haz guided me to a table in the left corner of the restaurant.

I looked at the menu but I wasn't that hungry. I haven't eaten a lot this week, too distracted and hurt by being in a fight with Tom.

"April. Talk to me. I know something's wrong with you and I have feeling it has something to do with Tom."

Haz knew me so well. I explained everything to him. From how Tom asked me to move in with him, my trip to LA, coming back in London with Jaden waiting for me, Jaden being a jerk, Tom walking in on me and Jaden having a conversation, me not telling Jaden about Tom and me.

"I don't know what to do, Haz." Tears had filled my already dry eyes. I couldn't handle this situation anymore.

"Look, just come back to our apartment with me. Tom did nothing but being in bed or on the couch this entire week, I'm sure he's still there. You can talk, explain everything and how you never wanted to hurt him. I know Tom, I'm sure he'll forgive you someday. He loves you." Haz put his hand on mine and squeezed it softly, as a sign of comfort.

"He what?" I blushed.

"Shit, he didn't tell you that yet?" Harrisons face heated up.

"No, I don't know. We haven't really told each other that yet. But I do too." I little smile left my lips.

"Well, tell him that too, then. It will be more convincing from your mouth than from mine." Harrison chuckled. The rest of the morning we had great talks. It was nice to finally catch up with Haz again. After a few hours of talking and laughing, I followed Haz back to his place. Nerves exploded in my stomach and my hands were sweaty. I had no idea how Tom would react once he saw me.

"Mate, I'm back from brunch! I brought someone with me!" Haz shouted as we entered the hallway.

"Who'd you bring?" Tom shouted back. I heard him walking towards us. My knees felt week. Like I could collapse right there. 

There he was. Standing tall in his grey sweatpants. He wore the light pink hoodie I got him for Christmas. Our initials were sowed on the inside.

"Hey..." My eyes met his.

"April." Tom said in a cold voice. He clearly didn't want to see me.

"Can I talk to you for a minute, please." I said softly.

I saw Harrison looking at Tom with a look in his eyes as a sign Tom should let me speak. I couldn't be more thankful for a friend like Haz.

"Fine." Tom stepped aside so I could walk past him, to his bedroom. I walked in to his room and sat down on the edge of his comfy bed.

"Talk." He closed the door. I gulped by how he spoke. Cold and unbothered. It wasn't like him.

"Tom, the first thing I want to say, is that I love you. So much. I never wanted to hurt you in any way. I know talking with Jaden made me do that, and I'm truly sorry. I got frustrated with him and I didn't know what to do. He said he would leave if I just talked to him for a minute. I wanted to get rid of him and didn't know what else to do. But I know, I should've stood up for myself and I should've just left him there. I want you to know that I don't give a single crap about him. I simply just hate him. But the important thing is, is that I love you. Tom. I love you. More than I ever thought I could love somebody. I'm deeply sorry for the situation I got us in, I never wanted that to happen. I hope you can forgive me, someday. I know it's a hard thing to do, and I don't expect you to do it right now because these things take time. I just hope you can do it someday, because I love you so, so much." I exhaled deeply. Looking down at the navy blue carpet of Toms bedroom.

It was quiet. No response. Tom just stood there, staring at the wall. This was it. He probably didn't want me anymore. And I get that.

But Tom broke the silence with clearing his throat. He pushed himself off the wall he was leaning against. Suddenly he marched up to me. He pulled me off his bed so our faces were close to one another's. I could feel his minty breath brushing on my skin. Chills developed all over my body.

"I love you."

His soft voice was a sound I didn't know I was craving, filling up the cracks in my nearly broken heart. He cupped his strong hands around my face, his lips desperately finding mine.

It was us against the world.