°•twenty three•°

-1 Year and 6 Months Later-

"Well, don't you two look comfortable," Maggie teases with a smile.

"He was up all night.. This is the first bit of sleep he's gotten," I sigh.

As the baby on my chest squirms a bit, I shush him, patting his back.

"You could've just gotten me," Maggie reminds, reaching over the back of the couch to caress Hershel's head.

"You were sleeping in for the first time in forever. I can handle taking my little brother for a few hours," I respond.

"Well, thank you," she says, moving to rub my head as well, "It felt nice to sleep in."

"Hmm.. maybe you should do it more," I offer as she moves to sit at her desk.

"Not just yet," she shakes her head.

"I know.." I sigh, laying my head against Hershel's, cuddling against him, "Just a thought."

"We've got that big run we're leaving out for in a few hours. The one out by the Capitol that could take a few days," she says.

"The one Jadis-" I pause, "Anne talked about?"

Ever since Morgan brought her in at Rick's request, I still wasn't used to using her real name yet.

"Yeah.. the seeds, plow, wagon.. who knows what else we could find."

"That's good," I nod lightly.

"If you wanna change your mind and go.." she trails off.

"Is he still going?" I ask.

She purses her lips, looking to her desk and nodding, "Yeah.. Rick's going."

"Well, then I'll just have fun with Hershel here."

"If we want even a shot to change their mind, we at least have to pretend like things are okay, honey," she frowns.

"Things are okay. I'm gonna stay home, check on patients, hang out with my little brother, and not go on a run. I'm sure Enid and Siddiq are going, if anything happens out there, you have two doctors anyway," I name.

"You better be glad that they know you hardly leave his side anyway or else they'd be suspicious," she laughs.

"Hey, I didn't help deliver him just for nothing," I point out.

"Do not remind me. My daughter seeing things of me.." she trails off, "We agreed to not speak of it."

Securing Hershel's head, I giggle. She had a hate-love relationship knowing that I helped her deliver Hershel. Love that it seemed to only bring Hershel and I closer- Hate that she was 'exposed' to her daughter.

"You'd do it for me," I shrug.

"You got something you need to tell me?" she asks, quirking her eyebrows up.

"I do not. But, you would be the first to know," I smile.

"I'll hold you to that," she nods.

"When exactly are you heading out?" I wonder.

"Probably two hours give or take," she says, glancing to her watch, "Until Alden and Ken get the buggy ready."

"Alden's going?" I ask.

"Mhm," she nods.

"See? Enid is definitely going, you'll be fine."

--

"Incoming," Alden nods to Carl.

"Hey!" I call out, offended as I drop my hands from where I was all but ready to scare Carl.