°•eighteen•°

"Hey," Carl's voice softly greets.

"Hi," I reply, not moving.

Instead, he moves to me, sighing as he sits.

"It's getting dark," he says.

"I know. I just had to remember what I'm doing it for," I assure.

He nods, turning his gaze to Glenn's grave as well.

"What you said in there- you're right."

"Hmm?" I hum.

"About coming back. What Hershel and Glenn said.. what they taught you," Carl explains.

"You were listening," I accuse.

"I was outside the door," he admits.

I scoff, shaking my head before returning to the original conversation, "I'm just following their lead."

"In nineteen years, I've only known of you to follow theirs. You never hesitate to fire back at my dad even when others are afraid to."

"Others see him as big bad leader man- I still see Uncle Rick who dressed up for my tea parties," I say and Carl laughs.

"You used to drag us into that way too many times," he shakes his head.

"I was preparing him for Judith," I smile.

We go silent until Carl chuckles under his breath.

"What?" I ask, tearing my eyes away from the grave to look at him.

"You said 'Uncle Rick'," he points.

"Yeah," I nod, "I used to say it a lot."

"Shouldn't it be different now?" he wonders.

"Different how?" I ask.

"Is it normal to call your father in law 'Uncle'?"

"Father in law?" I repeat.

"I mean.. yeah.. Some day," Carl nods.

"What are you trying to say Mr. Grimes?" I tease, nudging him with my elbow.

"I'm just saying.. Georgie talked a lot about future. So did Glenn. And because he did, so do you," he explains.

"Mhm," I urge him to continue.

"I've just been thinking about the future," he shrugs nonchalantly.

I laugh for a second, looking back to the ground, "Me too."

"Yeah?" Carl asks, taking his turn to nudge his arm into my side.

"Yeah," I nod.

"Good," Carl grins.

---

As Maggie and Kate stand on the balcony, I sit inside the room behind them as we wait the Saviors' arrival.

Georgie had reminded me so much of Deanna, it made me want to rewatch Glenn's video. Partly to hear even Deanna's voice.

I glance to Maggie and Kate stood, making sure they're far enough away before grabbing my bag and playing Glenn's video as low as I could so they couldn't hear. I just needed the reminder of why we're fighting. We just need to make it through the 'Negans' in order to get the future we want.

Before I put the camera away, I wondered about the other contents. After all, Deanna interviewed all of us. For the first time since Carl gave it to me, I click the arrow button and see more videos. From Glenn, it goes to Michonne's, then Daryl's, Abraham's which sent a pain in my stomach, Rosita's, Carl's, mine, Tara's and so on.. all from that first day.