°•eleven•°

After the battle came the clean up. Including the search for Sasha.

Sasha was brought by Negan from the Sanctuary- in a coffin. But, he put her in alive and she emerged as a walker. Maggie's certain she did it herself as a sacrifice, a way to get to Negan. She was found in the woods by Jesus and Maggie and promptly buried in Alexandria's burial grounds.

Rosita took a shot to the shoulder- a wound I personally took care of myself. Michonne was also injured in the battle, though hers was due to a brawl with one of Jadis' people and no weapons involved. Meaning, her injuries would probably take longer to heal.

There was no time at all for anyone to get comfortable. Within hours of the battle- the next steps were being taken.

And within exactly two days- most of the combined three communities were getting ready to quite literally knocking on the Saviors' doors.

--

"You know, I used to be afraid of the big cats at the zoo. But, I think Shiva gets a pass," I sigh, curling myself further in Carl's arms.

He snorts out a laugh, "It's a weird feeling knowing an overgrown house cat saved my life."

I rest my chin on his chest, looking up at him. Feeling my gaze he peeks down with a grin.

"She's the reason you're still here. Didn't think I'd ever feel indebted to a cat."

"Me either," he agrees, "Glad I'm still here, though."

Pulling myself up, I softly kiss him, "Me too."

He laughs quietly, his hand moving from my waist to brush my hair back delicately.

"I love you," I whisper in the dark.

"I love you so much more," he gently replies.

--

"Be careful," I say, a begging command.

"We will," Maggie assures, "We'll only be there for the first part. Then, we're going back home."

"I know. Still, though," I sigh.

"I'll see you when I can," she smiles.

Trading another hug, Maggie sighs, "I love you."

"Love you," I respond, unwillingly letting her go.

I was not going to the Sanctuary.

If anything happened out there, there was the choice to go to either Hilltop where I would be- or the Kingdom where their doctor awaited. 

I wasn't sure when it happened, but Doctor Carson was taken into the Sanctuary- a detail I'd only recently found out about.

If injuries were obtained, I was on standby here. Ready to work.

Of course, I'd argued to go with the others. Maggie was going and I thought a doctor on field would be better.

But, Maggie and Kate were going until the first shot was fired. Then, they would return to Hilltop and await the next move.

And Ezekiel and Maggie both agreed that two doctors on standby at either community would be safer as it would be like returning to a home base.

After Maggie, Kate, and Jesus loaded into their vehicle, it was time for me to get into another alongside Kal- a guard for Hilltop.

But, between the two events..

"I don't want to go," I admit.

"I know," Carl sighs, resting his head on mine.

"Rosita and Michonne are here. They need to be supervised because of their injuries. Maybe I could.. I don't know," I pout, clutching the back of Carl's shirt tighter.

"It'll be fine," he assures, "Just this last fight. It'll be over after this."

"Okay," I nod, slowly pulling back enough just to be be able to see his face.

"We'll make up for lost time later," he promises.

"I expect a candlelight dinner. All that romance and junk," I say, pointing to him to get my point across.

"Deal. Romance, candles, I'll find chocolate," he names, "All that cheesy shit."

"It takes points off if you call it 'cheesy shit'," I scoff.

"You called it 'junk'," he laughs.

"Well.." I shrug.

"I'll figure out a way to make up for lost points, too," he smiles.

"Double deal," I nod, leaning to my tiptoes for a kiss.

"I love you," Carl says.

"I love you," I smile, "So much more."

"You can't steal my words," he accuses.

"I just did. What are you gonna do about it? Arrest me?" I provoke.

"I might have to. I don't wear this hat for no reason," he teases.

"Here I was thinking it was to hide a bald spot," I gasp.

"Now you're just being mean," he blames.

"Then, why the hat?" I question.

He hums, quirking his gaze up as though he had to think about it, "First some old guy gave it to me."

Unable to keep the laugh down, I rest my forehead on his shoulder.

"Then, I thought it was getting pretty tacky. But, some girl said she liked it so I figured I might as well keep it," he recalls.

"Pssh, look who's being mean now!" I say, raising to look at him again.

He laughs, not speaking anymore as he bend down to my height to kiss me. I could've stayed there forever. Ignore everything else happening around us and just stay present here. And I probably would have if not for the disturbance.

"Ready whenever you are, Jade!" Kal calls out as he makes his way to our car.

Separating from Carl, I whine in protest as Carl begrudgingly sighs.

"I'll make it up later," he reminds.

Nodding, I couldn't help one more quick kiss.

"I'll see you then," I swear.

"Good," he grins, "I love you."

"Already said that," I remind.

"Another never hurt anyone," he defends.

"In that case, I love you."

"And I love you."

--

yes this was a short chapter literally just bc filler and carl and jade cute moment what about it arrest me

❤❤